Bunk beds or loft,? And kid's tree swing.

Hello everyone, first post here in your NG. Not trolling and won't spam. I noticed your NG title mentioned at another group and I've had a some projects that have been giving me some trouble so I was hoping I could please ask here? I really bit off more than I could chew with this place and rarely have the time to sit down to type (but I try) If you would please: six years ago we bought a couple acres way out in the country. It's a hillside, flat on the top. (some back ground because I prolly will be asking lot's of other questions.)OK, so we built a full 20'x40'x8' basement into the hillside. Brought out our Doublewide 64 Vagabond Mobile Home from the trailor park we were living in in the city thirty miles away. (never again.) We are middle-aged, our son who was one at the time is soon turning eight. The problem is he is running out of room in what is presently 'his' room. (eventually, I plan an efficenfy apt. in what now serves as the Rec. Room in the unfinished full basement. However I'm on fixed income and found out a long time ago that I'm not Superman.) The room is about 12'x10' I'm watching local want ads for a bunk bed, the new ones our way beyond my modest means. I do have a fairly good (45 hrs) Miller Blue Star welder/Generator. Andexperience welding. I'm having some trouble finding online plans for either steel or wood bunks. Also it has crossed my mind that maybe a loft would be better way to go? Could anyone point me to a good site with plans (preferrably free) Or any advice about putting bunk beds in, steel verses wood, etc. Not worried about building codes out here, but whatever I put in I would like to be able to easily remove when they have finished their purpose. My other question briefly, kid's tree swings, the belt types. where can these be purchased? Are there online plans to make one? Or suggestions for arternatives? He has a nice tire swing (three bolt and tire hangs horizontal, but it isn't the same as a high flying belt swing. We have large Black Oak in front yard, his baby swing is still in it. Six years ago i may have been able to scoot up that tree, now I'm not so sure. (-: Sorry to have made this so long, and thanks for reading and tia for any direction. If I can add some help to someone else I will. Pleased to meet y'll. 2_Bizy

Reply to
2_Biz_E

nospambob

Hi n.s.Bob, and thanks, that kind of worked for me. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "ensure you acknowlege the Google search...?" I didn't post, but I did do a Google search (groups) at rec.woodworking. It turned up a lot of hits but most of them lead to broken links. I guess I'll spend some more time finding one that isn't broken or search with-in the web-site for article. On the other hand I may just start bolting fourxfours to the wall and floor. But sure would like to find one good detailed page. Thanks for the suggestion on rec.woodworking, seems to be a lot of helpful 411 on everything else too. Appreciate it,

2_bizy
2_Bizy
Reply to
2_Biz_E

I bought plans and built the loft bed at this site:

The plans are $10, and are quite clear. I ordered the hardware needed through their website, as there was one particular size bolt (can't recall-it was a few years ago) that was difficult to find locally. The bed worked out quite well, though we've since demolished it and purchased metal tube bunk beds. FWIW, I bought the medium height loft bed plans. It wasn't high enough to use it for anything but plain storage underneath. I thought it would be a good sort of fort for my kids, but it was too low, and they'd hit their heads if they didn't crawl out. These are kids 7-11 yrs old. It was very sturdy, both my husband and I climbed up on it to test it's strength before letting the kids get up, and it didn't budge in the least.

Melissa

Reply to
Melissa

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
nospambob

OK, got it now Bob :-) sorry you had to dumb it down for me. But just your little bit of feedback helped immensely. Got so many irons in the fire wish I would have known about both these NG's sooner. Maybe I'll get the loft built before he's in his teens. Thanks.

:-)

Reply to
2_Biz_E
2_Biz snipped-for-privacy@allthetime.grr. wrote in news:20050708131023.528$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.com:

Bunk beds aren't difficult. I think I can describe mine to you in such a way it can easily be built. The frame of the bed is made using 2x4s. The ends are made of ~2' 6" vertical supports with approximately 3' horizontal supports. The ends attach with lag bolts to rails that are about 6' 2" long, with 2x2 brackets underneath to hold a 3/4 sheet of plywood that holds the matress.

If you're unable to imagine what I described and need a picture, let me know. I'll get out my digial camera and take a few.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

No, wow, thanks. I think I got it now, great description.(plus what Bob has posted)I'm going with the land scape timber for the four legs open in front, and then braced on top and sides (as I have an excess of it from constructing the fence.) Then the rails using joist hangers and 2x4's as you mention: 6'2" lgnth. (perfect for his room) What I didn't calculate in was the "3/4 sheet of plywood" Or (lag bolts) Now...I owe you for that! I was wondering how/where to hang the springs, but the plywood solves that. (Thanks :-) Then the ladder, right? Hey, home free! I know there has to be at least 16" clearance from ceiling and the plywood w/mattress will sure help there. Plus a Futon can be laid below for his overnight friends, and all that reclaimed space for the toys... Kewl. Thanks from both of us here. :-)

Reply to
2_Biz_E
2_Biz snipped-for-privacy@allthetime.grr. wrote in news:20050710165939.639$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.com:

You may want to use 1/2" dowel rods to secure the top and bottom pieces. My bed's had them for years and only seperated when I wanted it to.

The original bed (I rebuilt the original due to a combination of needing a better design underneath and the 10+ years of wear, including 3 moves) had a ladder integrated into the end of the bed, but I almost never used it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

(snip) Uh, hang on a sec. You probably

Reply to
ameijers

Yeah thanks I think, I'll use the "or something" to "encapulate" it. Just what is it that thrift stores won't touch? That is a new one on me

(-:

Reply to
2_Biz_E

At least in my part of the world, thrift stores won't touch any building materials, except maybe ceiling fans and light fixtures. No paint, no lumber, no doorframes, certainly no raw stock like lumber or siding or pipe or plumbing fixtures. A ReStore will have all that and more.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Thanks aem, after careful consideration I'm taking your advice. Not only because of the CCA's but also the size the monster would be in such a small room (albeit temporary, I might want to someday move it into his treehouse.) So I'm going with steel, welder and carriage bolts,casters and of course finish. (years in manufacturing trade so no problem there. I don't know why I didn't click to Puckdropper's suggestion of "plywood" to hold the mattress, but it will work for either steel or wood construction. So my thanks to both of you and all others for your help and sound advice. Appreciate it much.

2_bizzy for sure.
Reply to
2_Biz_E