Building a moat

I want to build a moat around my house, complete with a draw bridge.
Who to contact, or where do I start?
Many thanks
Busted Computer wrote:

I think the correct term is "dig" a moat, not build one.
Having visited many castles, a moat is not just a ditch. Its sides are lined with stone at exact military angles to discourage siege engines and infantry assault. The far side is much steeper than the side closest to the castle. This is to make it more difficult for the invader to enter the moat and, necessarily, more difficult for him to escape.
You will need several sally ports on your residence to clean out the dead bodies from the moat.
Good luck. Please post pictures of your progress.

That's what the turtles and catfish are for ;)

AND take them on airliners.

re: "The far side is much steeper than the side closest to the castle. This is to make it more difficult for the invader to enter the moat and, necessarily, more difficult for him to escape."
OK, I get the "more difficult to escape" if the far side (when viewed from inside the castle) is steeper, but how does that make it more difficult to *enter* the moat? The word "jump" comes to mind.

Try 'Ye Olde Moat Shop'. They do good work.
If you have the coin to do so, you might want to get a bridge that can support 2 carts wide. This way if you have goods coming by wagon, AND have outgoing vendors at the same time; they can both utilize the bridge. You will need a good pulley system, so don't go with the standard version they will try to sell you. That model is so 12th century and they are trying to get rid of existing stock. You don't want to spend too many serf hours on raising and lowering the bridge; best to keep as many serfs in the field breaking their back, not rasising the bridge daily and breaking their backs. :-)

Bad neighbors, eh? <g>
...and they say fences make for good neighbors.

Start digging.
You may wish to pull a permit before filling the moat.
Don't forget the PETA hassles you'll have to contend with when you stock it with Piraa and alligators, not to mention the EPA Environmental Impact Statement.
Then there's the Algore factor: You'll have created a wetland so you can forget about using your property for anything else. Good luck!
--
:)
JR

Busted Computer wrote:

I don't know but once you have it contact me for the requisite alligators :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Start with you local building permit dept, they'll guide you through the process.
Moat Depot installs them.
I installed one, and my house hasn't been pillaged in years. Occasionally, someone will catapult a dead cow into the yard, though.

-- I installed one, and my house hasn't been pillaged in years. Occasionally, someone will catapult a dead cow into the yard, though.
I live in a cave. Want to pet my bunny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Someone got my reference....

-- Someone got my reference....
Ni
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Moat Depot probably killed the cows to ensure there's no Lowe's in the vicinity.
PB