Brrr, Broken Thermostat or worse?

My heat is not working, and I checked all the breakers. Normally at this point, I would give up and call a HVAC guru, but one thing caught my attention. A few years back, our air-pump's compressor gave up the ghost, but even then when I put it on emergency heat, the emergency heat light turned on.
Any chance it is just the thermostat on this thing? I've been meaning to swap it out for a digital anyway.
--Rob
oh, it makes no noise when the fuse is turned off and on and it sits silent when turned to "fan" as well
Rob Caskey wrote:

What kind of heat you have?
you will want to spend $25 on a digital multimeter in the electrical section of your hardware store. or borrow one from the neighbor and borrow him to show you how to use it. unless this is a millivolt system which requires no electricity to operate: ! if this is an electric baseboard heat 110VAC/220VAC [volts alternating current] thermostat there is a potential shock hazard to you inside the heating thermostat! otherwise measure the 2 wires for 24VAC when warm/satisfied/happy and zero VAC when cold/unsatisfied/unhappy temperature is in the room. if this is a 24VAC thermostat containing a surprise battery, replace the battery or the whole thermostst. if this is a 24VAC old style two wire thermostat with a mechanical switch that clicks, connecting the two wires together is all that the switch does when it wants heat. if it can call for heat by connecting those two 24VAC wires together, replace the thermostat. more reading How to Fix a Low-Voltage Thermostat at: http://www.ehow.com/how_117647_fix-low-voltage.html
Rob Caskey wrote:

Thanks all. Thermastat turned out ok, but I figured I might as well replace it anyway. The new digital one reads "No AC Power", so time to get on the phone I suppose :(
--Rob
buffalobill wrote:

btw, this is a multi-stage heat-pump
Rob Caskey wrote: