Briggs & Stratton Engine Problem

If you pull the plug out and test, there is now no compression. Pull the rope and cycle through several power strokes and you can get a better exam of the spark.
had to do a valve job on mine when it did that.lucas
A bad valve would not cause this symptom.

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:49:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

It probably has an electronic ignition mobule, see if it gets spark just after dying, if its very old with points maybe a capacitor is bad
Manjo wrote:

I've not read the rest of the thread but noted you were apparently still searching --
Anybody suggested checking the exhaust screen (I'm assuming it has one) for C deposits? Sounds like it could be clogged w/ buildup which will cause such symptoms...

How about checking around the head gasket for leaks. I had a lawnmower engine that exhibited a similar problem.

I know it doesn't do much good, but I did do a visual check of the head gasket edges. Nothing unusual, but I'll check it with some sudsy water today. I lent out my leak down tester (I hope to get back soon) so I had to use a standard cylinder compression tester. I got consistent readings of 74 psi with a warm (not hot) engine. I think this is a good reading since it's a small cylinder, unlike an auto engine cylinder. Manjo

If you did have a leak at the head gasket; you might hear a slight whistle sound with the engine running. A blown gasket and I doubt the engine would run, as the power combustion goes out the passage/leak.
Oren wrote:

A "blown" gasket wouldn't give 75 psi, either... :)

The exhaust has not been checked. I did put my hand near the exhaust canister and I could feel puffs of air as the engine ran at normal rpm. But now that you mention this, the air pressure felt a little low or soft. I'll pull the can and check it today. Manjo

The crankcase has a breather also. See parts 8 & 9. This allows gases to escape out the crankcase. They can be clogged, but cleaned easily.

Really, take a good look at it. I had a string trimmer with similar start/die problems, that I spent weeks on. Rebuilt the fuel pump, etc. Then I cleaned the 'spark suppressor' screen, and it's run perfectly since.
I've since been told that running small engines at less than WOT will load them up with carbon.
George

Geo, this is a 4-cycle, I know...the thread is a little long!
Those screens need to be drilled out and thrown away. We had EVERY one we ever bought clog WITH the proper mix and all day WOT use.
steve

alas...our thread is lost amid putrid spam!