Brick pavers instead of bricks for a 6x9 foot porch and 2 steps

I am thinking about using old virginia Montecello concrete pavers to rebuild my porch( 6 ' by 9' by 2 ' high with 2 steps). I want the porch to match a new brick walkway I am having put in. I cannot find any regular brick in this pattern. The pavers are finished on 5 of the 6 sides, with no holes, spacers, or frog cuttouts, Just a rectangle of colored concrete. The color goes all the way through and seems to be uniform.

The bond seems like it would be weaker. Instead of bricks being linked by morter that has oozed into holes they are linked just by a surface bond. Other than that is there any reason not to use concrete pavers to build a porch?

TIA Keith

Reply to
Keith

Set a bed of sand, compacted and leveled, then set your bricks I believe you are going to be using a tight bond, no joint between the bricks, right? Your going to need something substantial for edging like mortared, grouted concrete block, with a footing. Stability will become an issue if you do not. When finished, use a 75% mixture of cement to sand ( mix first) spread it upon the top of the bricks, sweep it back and forth, length wise then width wise 2 times. Take off the excess and hose it down. As long as the weather is above freezing when you do this the bricks will never come up. Better think about which way you want the water to run. Best of luck

Reply to
SQLit

Actually they are going to be mortered in with the existing steps used as a base. Sort of a cladding around existing. The rise and run will be correct however since we are making the porch larger.

Reply to
Keith