brick facing

Hi, Part of my house has brick facing. Right beside the garage door it goes about 4 feet up the wall then regular siding continues up from there. The house was built in 1996. I wanted to put a hose bib right there beside the garage door so to start out I drilled a small hole through the brick, that went easy, but then it hit something that even a high speed steel drill wont drill through. Mt question is, whats normally behind the brick facing? The inside of the garage is drywalled so i cant see whats there (its not a stud or nail) Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Not sure where your drilling, but you might be drilling into a steel brick support.

Reply to
bowgus

Move over a little bit and drill again. A masonry bit will not go through, if it is metal. Another hole in the brick is not desired, but might be necessary.

-- Oren

Oren

I went through the brick with a masonry bit but then i switched to a Hi-speed steel bit (see my original post above) and whatever is behind the brick doesn't want to drill, Is there some kind of hardened steel plate behind this brick? Eric

Reply to
Eric

I can't tell from this location. Did you drill a grout line or into solid brick and hit metal? My guess is that drilling a grout/mortar line can reduce chances of hitting a metal strap support behind this brick. I've never experienced anything in a home wall that cannot be penetrated.

I cannot image hardened steel in your home wall at the location you mention.

Take the same hole, angle off center right or left with the drill and see if you break past this barrier.

-- Oren

Oren

Possibly you are trying to drill into a concrete stem wall. My house has one that goes up about a foot and a half to 2 feet. Of course my house has a proper foundation and crawl space.

If it is a concrete stem wall you will probably need a hammer drill.

Bill Gill

Reply to
BillGill

The short turn backs at the sides of the garage door are often laced with sheet metal or steel to gain sufficient shear strength. That being said, there is nothing in there that cannot be drilled. Get a fresh, small diameter bit and use plenty of pressure. Try to bring back a chip of whatever you are drilling. As has been said, it might be concrete, steel, stainless, or really serious wafer board. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG