Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

Page 3 of 4

I know what you mean. Every night I come home and there's another neighbor of mine whose house blew up.

Why not? There would be an open flame, no hotter than your electric range.
When I was in an apt, I had an electric range that I had a tea kettle on. The damn whistle on the kettle didn't work, and I completely forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I smelled something burning. The electric range MELTED a hole in the bottom of the kettle. It was pretty thick aluminum.
No way the gas range could have melted the aluminum.

Same here. My neighborhood's down to 3 houses, where there used to be about 70 just a year ago.
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:37:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

My own house has blown up 12 times already today!
Sy
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:28:56 -0500, Seymour Bigby-Heinz

Were you in it?

Ummmm... do you really think that electric burners get as hot as a gas flame?

It may have *burned* a hole in the bottom...

Sorry, but your reality check just bounced.
Aluminum melts at 660 C. The temperature of a natural gas flame is approx 900 C. [http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html ]
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

Confined, electric heat gets much hotter than an open flame. Ever hear of curtains catching fire above an electric heating element? Gas forced air or hydronic?

No, it'll melt it.

If it burned the aluminum it would ba a tad hotter than 660C! It would have been quite a sight, if anything was left to see.

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.
--
Keith

Really?
No.
Huh?
Under a kettle on a gas burner isn't exactly "confined", you know. There's plenty of room for air to enter. I repeat: your reality check bounced. The temperature of a natural gas flame is *much* higher than the melting point of aluminum.
--
Regards,
I've seen it done, an empty lightweight aluminum frying pan forgotten that melted on a gas burner. It didn't run like water, but it melted a hole and sagged. Lucky it was outside on a propane camping stove or it could have damaged something else as well. The heat from a kitchen stove burner, whether propane or natural gas would be quite similar.

Mike S.

"Doug Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com> wrote in message
And I think that is the whole point. the stove is there for cooking, not leaving empty pots on. There's a reason restaurants use gas and not pansy assed electric burners and ovens.
--
Steve Barker

"Mikey S." < snipped-for-privacy@att.net> wrote in message

I propose an experiment. Who's got a $5.00 aluminum pot and a gas stove they don't mind scarring up?

It wouldn't matter. Miller will still want the last word on the subject.

You just can't *stand* it when I know something you don't, can you?
--
Regards,

I haven't said a word about melting pots and evil stoves. I'm just watching this silly debate.

Steve,
I can relate to this as I am a pipeline welder/contractor in the oil industry. I make more than any Dr. and a lot of surgeons...... in fact, if I needed structural welding done for myself, I'd hire someone else cause I can't even afford my own rates....LOL.......Jim

I'm remembering the joke about a dentist who calls a plumber. When the drain is cleared, the dentist remarks "I don't even make this much money". The plumber replies "neither did I when I was a dentist".
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

That's not funny!
In my previous house, there was a problem with the dip tube in the water heater. It was covered under warranty, as long as the repair was done by one of a handful of plumbers on AO Smith's list. While the plumber was at the house, I pointed out the old iron drain pipes under my kitchen, which clogged on a fairly regular basis. I was planning on remodeling the kitchen, so I asked the plumber how much to switch the pipes to PVC. He said $350, so as long as he was there, I had him do the job. It took 90 minutes.
Moved to a new house. The 50 year old iron pipes were even worse. Called the same plumber and said "No rush, but if you're nearby, stop over and tell me what the same thing will cost". He lives 10 minutes away. He stopped by. Estimate: $1500.00. After I got up off the floor, I said "The other house was $350. Why's this $1500?? It looks like about the same amount of pipe, and it's much easier to work on here - it's all out in the open - no corners". He says "Travel charges. I was already at your other house, right?".
No further comment.
HBC my competitor servicing laminators charges 250 bucks for the first hours labor to repair a 1500 buck laminator.
I charge a fraction of that, and feel like a thief somewtimes for a 00 bucks a hour, but it includes travvel........
laminators put plastic on paper a good example is menus clear covering.
Sears your best example of ripoff chars more travel to get the same tech to service a furnace with air. 75 nucks charge for swapping tool kits.....
being in the service business myself it costs a lot to operate, but geez some are just a ripoff
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

WTF did you just say?