"Boxing" large quantities of paint?

I'm probably going to need 20 gallons or more of paint to do the outside of our house. I can get it in 5-gallon pails, but how do I go about "boxing" it, as recommended? I suppose I could dump them all into a metal or heavy-duty plastic garbage can, but then how to handle that to pour the paint back into the 5-gallon pails, which is what the paint sprayer will accommodate?
Or is "boxing" not going to be as important for exterior paint as for interior?
Perce

I would not bother from where I buy from. But Is it a custom color from wallmart, or HD, you could instead of worrying put 4 big samples on a piece of cardboard, actualy drip one onto another in bright light to see if there is any difference, if so use 2- 5 gal buckets and just mix back and forth, forget pouring in 20 gal into a bucket. And dont paint in the sun or a hot surface

I would not bother from where I buy from. But Is it a custom color from wallmart, or HD, you could instead of worrying put 4 big samples on a piece of cardboard, actualy drip one onto another in bright light to see if there is any difference, if so use 2- 5 gal buckets and just mix back and forth, forget pouring in 20 gal into a bucket. And dont paint in the sun or a hot surface

Try to use one pail per wall. near the end you can mix the remains for the 4 pails to get one last uniform batch and paint the largest wall last if it will take more than 5 gallons. Not sure the size of your walls but it might work. If you are using a premixed color (there are a few), then just buy all from the same lot number.

Personally, I've never done that with any paint I've ever used so I'd definitely not think about mixing 20 gallons.

The factory blends are so accurate these days that I don't think that's required anymore. Now if you were doing a custom color, you might want to think about blending enough for each face. If you have extra when going around a corner, start with that and add to it.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The method with smaller amounts is to add part of new can to old before it is completely gone - about 1/3 left. Doing same from 5 gal can should work fine, especially with sprayer where you can blend a little. If you pop the lid of all four buckets, not in glaring sun, and don't see a color difference it should be okay. Good enough for my eyes :o)

We used 120 gallons of paint..inside & out and never "boxed" ?? it
For the exterior (stucco) paint, I did have to add about one quart of water per "5" to get it to flow well thru the sprayer.