Can I soak Briggs and Stratton carbuertor in pro-grade parts cleaner

Can I soak Briggs and Stratton carbuertor in pro-grade parts cleaner?

30 years ago the carbs were mostly metal, but now this one is almost entirely plastic -- it's the model that has a small rectangular tank underneath the carb, and uses a red bulb to prime the engine -- and I'm not sure if I can soak it in the cleaner I bought by the gallon at an auto parts store. I'm afraid the plastic parts will melt.

The original container with the ingredients is not here now, or I'd read what it says, but I thought maybe you guys knew the answer anyhow. Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Will kerosene harm the plastic?

Reply to
Oren

No it won't. So this stuff is no stronger than kerosene? :(

Was the stuff I bought 40 years ago a lot stronger? That's the feeling I've gotten.

Reply to
mm

Try what you may. Let us know.

Reply to
Oren

Email them with a model number and ask them

Reply to
Rudy

The gallon can with the metal basket inside? It will eat plastic parts. Even metal carbs usually have seals that either can't be seen or can't be removed and will be ruined. I don't recommend that stuff for anything. Spray carb cleaner, a jet cleaner, and compressed air are the best way to go. Wear safety goggles.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Just the answer I needed. I'll use the carb cleaner for my friend's carb, and do the dipping for one of mine that has metal parts. I opened that one up yesterday and it had a lot of solid powder in the bowl, clumps of it. I'll get back to you all about that when I have time to look at the stuff.

P&M

Reply to
mm