Bosch Tankless WH

I'm considering installing this unit(s). I would like to hear from those who have them, installed them, etc. Opinions and advice is appreciated. 2 full bathrooms here. Thanks!

Reply to
Manster

Which Bosch, the larger unit is made by Takagi, the small unit 110000 btu is a one bath unit. You need proper gas flow or full BTU will never be reached, You need it tested while all gas apliances are on. What is winter time water temp lows. You need to know gpm and temp rise needed. I have the small Bosch , its great. Is this a single person use or family, with a family savings may be zero. I am seeing a

5 yr payback single use. Look also at Rinnai with remote thermostat, Takagi makes a condensing unit of 94% efficiency if you have the $
Reply to
ransley

Remember the large 190000 btu unit will likely double your gas requirements, in winter when incomming water is coldest and everything is competing for gas you wont get full btu without a great supply, My incomming water can go to 36f, I still never set the unit on high but you need to research everything or risk cold showers in January.

Reply to
ransley

Good points sir. Thank you for your input. As for the use it's for family (3). Natural gas. As for other appliances; kitchen stove, floor furnace, wall heater. The two heaters are usually used from 4am-7am. Wood burning insert supplies most of the heat in our normally mild winters.

Reply to
Manster

take a look at the initial pro install cost with gas line upgrade and possibly flue upgrade.

the energy saved will never exceed the high upfront costs in thew warrantied life of the heater, max 10 years.

traditional tanks today are highly efficent, with their foam insulation. just go and feel a recent production tank it wouldnt be hot to touch, standby losses are very low.

at low flow rates heater may not trip on or water may be scalding hot.

Are you trying for endless hot water or attempting to save energy?

Reply to
hallerb

More good points I hadn't considered.

My current WH is approx. 10 years old and works okay, but was considering the tankless for when I replace it.

Primarily energy savings, hallerb. Thank you much for your advice. I'm going to reconsider this while I check out the cost factors too.

Reply to
Manster

winters.- Hide quoted text -

realize in the winter standby losses go to help heat your home, although in the summer they add to your AC load.

My last tank I went with a 50 gallong 75K BTU tank, it has more than double the recovery of our old 40 gallon 34K tank, I would of gone 75 gallons except it wouldnt physically fit:(

the 50 gallon tank provides almost unlimited hot water here, and our shower has the flow restrictor removed:)

Reply to
hallerb

winters.- Hide quoted text -

If usage remains the same you will save 20% or so , look at "Energy Factor" ratings, tanks rarely go above 60% where as tankless can go to

93% or so, Energy Factor is not the efficency rating
Reply to
ransley

Thanks again gentlemen. This will give me a lot to go on until I make the decision.

Reply to
Manster

I would go to a store where they compare the Tankless - This location

greg

Hi, Can this unit fill a tub with hot bath water? I wonder.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Last year, I was considering a purchase of a tankless water heating system but the price was extremely high in Canada. I almost made the purchase until the salesman said to make sure that no one else in the home turned on the hot water tap when I was having a shower. The system couldn't provide enough hot water to two taps at the same time.

Since then, I have discovered an interesting method of making as much hot water as you would like, very efficiently on demand. If you use your favorite search engine with the search words, 'cavitation heater' or 'hydrosonic pump', you will have witnessed the device that I am talking about. These devices are not currently available for residential use and there is a patent on the idea. I plan on making such a device for my own personal use which theoretically should not violate any of the patent laws. This device is purely mechanical and only requires an ordinary household thermostat to control. The cost of such a device is very low, if you have done what I have done and started your own basement machine shop.

Reply to
Buy_Sell

Sounds no more efficient than electric resistance heating.

The law says you can't "make, use, or sell" at patented invention without the inventor's permission, even for your own personal use.

Nick, Registered US Patent Agent

Reply to
nicksanspam

Thanks for the information. It looks like I have a few calls to make.

Reply to
Buy_Sell