Bootlegging Lightbulbs

Page 1 of 2
Back in the 1960's it seemed like a big deal to illegally get some beer or cigarettes before we were of legal age. Then came the bootlegged recordings of rock concerts, which everyone enjoyed. Of course most boomers at least occasionally enjoyed some bootlegged marijuana. Back then, it seemed pretty normal to partake in these illegal activities, because almost everyone did it.
But who would have ever suspected that in the first and second decade of the 2000's people would have to bootleg lightbulbs? The government plans to take away our incandescent lightbulbs, and replace them with compact florescents, to save energy. Don't get me wrong, I do support energy conservation. After all, we only have one earth to live in, so we must all do what we can to eliminate pollution and environmental damage. At the same time, I like to save money on my utility bills.
However, compact florescent bulbs have their limitations. They do not provide the same amount of light, they often produce a color that is unacceptable, they contain mercury, so they add to harmful pollution, they are known to occasionally ignite and cause fires, they can not be used on a dimmer, they do not function well in cold weather in unheated buildings, and the biggest complaint seems to be the amount of time they take to get to full brightness.
I know this for fact after putting some of them in my garage. I'd walk in the garage to grab a plyers and a few bolts out of my bucket of odds and ends. I'd find myself standing there for 5 minutes, waiting for the CF bulbs to get bright enough to see the contents of my bucket, or find the plyers in my cramped tool box. I dont know about you, but I become really irritated when I am trying to get something done, and have to stare into near darkness waiting to be able to see what I'm trying to do. In the winter these bulbs were almost useless, and never got to full brightness due to the cold. I lived with these bulbs for a full year, before I finally had enough, and put back standard, cheap incandescent bulbs. Now I can walk in my garage, have instant light, and be back to the house with my items, in the time I was spending waiting for these CF bulbs to get bright.
On a more positive note, I do find that the CF bulbs are efficient in lights that are left on for hours. For example, I leave at least two lights turned on in the house all night, mostly for safety when we have to go to the bathroom or something while half asleep. In this case, they do consume less power and are plenty bright for a safety light. Of course, I still am concerned about the fire hazzard they can cause.
I want to do my part in conserving energy, but I am not willing to cope with CF bulbs in my garage or in cold weather. I am not willing to pay the price of these bulbs, which never last as long as they claim, and in most cases have the same life expectancy as a 25 cents standard bulb, and I am worried about thier fire dangers as well as exposure to mercury if one breaks.
I forsee the day coming when I and many other people will be bootlegging incandescent bulbs from other countries, because the US government will no longer allow them to be sold.
I'm afraid it won't stop there either. What will be the next products the govt takes away from us? They already took away many of the older automotive solvents (such as carb cleaner), and replaced them with nearly useless solvents that dont work. They banned the original treated lumber, leaving us with *NEW* treated lumber that now rots as well eating up nails, unless we spend a fortune for stainless steel nails. Whats next? Will it be laundry detergent or paper plates, or toilets? Will we soon all have to stop using computers and other electronics because they contain chemicals, are we all heading back to the days of candles for light, wood for heat, a hand pump for water, and a horse and buggy for transportation, and a creek and some rocks for doing laundry? It sure seems this way.
Does anyone want to join me in my horse and buggy caravan to make a trip to Mexico to bootleg some lightbulbs? The round trip will take three months, or longer if the weather is poor. We'll risk going to prison as we cross the border, but if we are successful, we'll bring back 50 cases of bulbs in our horse drawn buggies and will make $50,000 when we get back, since each case will be worth $1000 on the black market. Sorry, pot smokers will not be allowed to join us.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 20, 6:00 am, sparechange@the_net.com wrote:

Id suggest you try some HD soft white Cfls they are cheap 1-2$ and make all your statements about their performance inacurate. It is time the Gov taxes incandesants and rebates Cfls. You just had a bad experiance from older style, or crappy bulbs. Coal plants release 4x the mercury to generate the power for a 100w incandesant, that you are breathing right now. I could go on with proof but you honestly have it wrong.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 20, 6:00 am, sparechange@the_net.com wrote:

I'm in....ROAD TRIP You've got it right; the measures enacted to save the planet are doing more to kill quality of life than they do to save the planet, most come nowhere near solving a problem, most cause new problems that are worse that the problem they attempted to solve, yet they persist, it's for the children. Oh, and the toilets are already done, 1 1/2 gallon toilets don't flush as well as 3 gallon ones, go figure. Taken out a small loan to buy a loaf of bread lately? Good job pushing ethanol wackos, and yet; it still takes a gallon of diesel to make a gallon of ethanol, really helping the planet there guys.
Add pictures here
✖

Actually they are turned out because of the "least restrictive environment" clause in the Community Mental Health Centers Act passed under JFK. Although many of the problems with keeping them on their medications extend from the Supremes saying there is a constitutional right to refuse medications.
Add pictures here
✖

Of course if you are one of ones not covered, you might also realize that it would much easier and more efficient to address the reasons why you are w/o healthcare as opposed to ripping up the entire system and maybe then not addressing your concerns/needs.
Add pictures here
✖
Eric in North TX wrote:

While sometimes - not always - measures enacted to help save the earth affects quality of life in some way, the root cause of problems is often unsustainable lifestyles. If a lifestyle is unsustainable to begin with, you shouldn't have any illusion that you can keep living that way forever.
You can live like a king on borrowed money too, but that's not going to last. Eventually you will have to cut back on your spending or face financial ruin.
Environmentally unsustainable lifestyles are just like that. Of course, life is good when you don't have to be careful with resources and when you don't need to clean up after yourself. You can live that way for a while, but eventually you'll have to change or face the consequences.

There are toilets with two-stage flush. You can flush with less water when it'll work, and with more water when the job requires it.

I agree that the current way of making ethanol from corn makes no sense. It doesn't seem like it's designed to help the environment at all. Sometimes you have to be a little cynical about politicians' real motives and not take what they say they're trying to do at face value.
Add pictures here
✖
The US life style is quite sustainable. Except for the godless liberals in government who want us all to suffer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Equality of outcome is their game; with conservatives, it's equality of opportunity. Mostly.
Liberals tend to provide for the general welfare through the treasury, conservatives tend to promote the general welfare through the economy.
Plus, liberals don't believe wealth can be created. They think the amount of wealth is fixed and just needs to be better distributed.
Add pictures here
✖
I find myself agreeing with you. Well written, good fellow.
Liberals say that everyone is entitled to a light bulb. They create a massive federal bureocracy to make sure that everyone has a light bulb. To accomplish this, they take light bulbs away from anyone with 100,000 light bulbs a year or more, and give to worthless trash who never worked a day in their lives. Then, they wonder why rich Americans don't get many more new light bulbs. They also institute studies to find out why poor people either sell the light bulbs on the black market for beer money, or break them in frustration. Rich people are tired of having their light bulbs taken by force, and charities sit in dark offices for lack of donated bulbs. Domestic bulb production falls to near zero. All bulbs are now made in China.
Conservatives let the free market operate. People get light bulbs by working and paying for them. Some folks leverage their income, and get a constant supply of light bulbs. Rich people donate generously to charities, who are able to keep thier offices lit, and give bulbs to the poor. Charities teach job readiness, and the poor people get jobs at the local light bulb factory. Federal revenue soars, as the economy rebounds.
C'mon party primaries. Quit nominating dim bulbs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have been interested in health care stuff for over 20 years now. I have seen that figure bandied about, but I haven't seen anything about where it came from. Do you happen to remember, or do you just bandy it about? The healthcare expenditures data published yearly by the Feds don't back that up.
Add pictures here
✖
Eric in North TX wrote in part:
<SNIP plenty already said>

Now I see 1.6 gallon/flush toilets that work as well as toilets ever did. And you have a bad number - the old ones were even worse than you say - they flush 5 gallons. In a few localities there was an interim requirement for 3.5 gallons for a while.
In the Philadelphia area, I still see mostly 5 gallon/flush toilets.

The lack of energy gain from corn ethanol is touted by a study that is flawed by assuming that all corn requires irrigation.
However, I am against mandates and subsidies for biofuels specifically from corn as opposed to biofuels not limited to specific products associated with best-paid lobbyists.
✖
How about a false petrol tank full of INCANS and some of those oil sprays so you can make the revenue boys run of the road and then a couple of thomsons to finish them off.

Add pictures here
✖
In New Zealand we pay 22 cents / kWhr so i love power savers YOU BETCHA

Add pictures here
✖
sparechange@the_net.com wrote:

Fewer people would be a good start. Instead of tax deductions/credits for kids let's start taxing them. ____________

Good place to get them...most stores have a hot, non-screw in socket by the bulbs so they can be checked before buying. And no, no one sticks their finger into the socket - who would be that dumb?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 20 May 2008 06:00:23 -0500, sparechange@the_net.com wrote:

How about just getting rid of the morons in congress, like Kennedy and Kerry and Sharpton, etc.?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 20 May 2008 06:00:23 -0500, sparechange@the_net.com wrote:

<snip>
Reading buy fluorescent lighting gives me a headache if I have to do it more than 10 minutes. That leaves me with either 1) Only reading during natural daylight hours, or 2) Stock up with incandescent bulbs. Already I have stocked up to last me the next 25 years, so it will be awhile before I consider buying bootleg bulbs. And then, I can always use my kerosene lamp or read by the campfire, if that is still legal.
Add pictures here
✖
Phisherman wrote:

Any chance that you might have old fixture that doesn't have an electronic ballast? With an electronic ballast, the "flicker" frequency is in the tens of kHz range -- way too high to be noticeable as flicker. That's not to say it can't give you a headache, but if flicker was the problem, a modern fluorescent lamp with an electronic ballast might help.
Even if you can't stand reading under fluorescent lighting, you may still be able to use them in areas where light quality is less critical. Also, you may want to look into LEDs and see if they work for you as reading lights.
Add pictures here
✖

There are now incandescents with enough energy efficiency to not be affected by the 2012/2014 bans. Also, many 150 watt incandescents and nearly all incandescents 200 watts or more are not affected by the 2012/2014 bans - only a certain range of light output is affected, which in my words is "roughly 30-35 watt incandescent" to "dim side of 150 watt incandescent". This means incandescents 25 watts and less are also unaffected by the 2012/2014 bans.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread / 695cb5879218f939/5f88b8221bb24999?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#5f88b8221bb24999
includes an April 19 posting by Paul Eldridge that says what will be banned and what will not be banned. Even within the affected light output range, that article mentions exemptions for a lot of incandescents including some that can be used as "general purpose" (though with reduced light output and energy efficiency - better to use the Philips "Halogena Energy Saver" [3,000 hour life expectancy and dimmable] or CFLs instead!).
That article's message ID is
✖
Kerosene lamps will now need catalytic converters, to reduce air pollution. Watch, give them a couple years.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There was push in some areas a few years ago to regulate outdoor grilling. When the obvious sh** storm ensued, they backed down suggesting it was a just one overzealous bureaucrat. Of course it was.
Add pictures here
✖