Bolt specifications

Anyone know of a chart of load capacity of bolts on the web. Specifically, will be attaching angle steel to wood wall studs to hold up a short (low) masonry wall. (Yes, I know it would be better to put it on a footer but it cannot be done in this case and the wall is low.) Plan to use 3/8" bolts but issue is how many. We know exactly what the wall will weigh with masonry and mortar because we took the old one down and weighed it.

Reply to
Art

Specifically,

Try

They have a lot of information like that for their products.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, but look under "cap screws".

Reply to
John Hines

Google turns up

John Hines

Specifically,

I am not even going to address your idea,,, ok I lied,, your nuts. Wood holding concrete. Lets see here wood goes away and steel and concrete do not. Get some grade 8's and your going to not have trouble with the bolts, as for the wood and the ledger your installing,,,,,, not a clue. Sounds to me like your going to tip the wood wall over...

Reply to
SQLit

I have four 1/2" bolts holding the angle with 8' of brick wall over a

12 foot span. This is bolted to a 2x12 header not studs.
Reply to
Andy Asberry

Thanks to everyone.

The wall is for a second story residential construction. The second story wall sits on the first story roof. But it is short because a 1st floor vaulted ceiling is adjacent to the the 2nd story wall.

We took the old wall down because no flashing or weep holes were installed. The steel was nailed down to the truss under it but the engineer prefers that when the wall is replaced the steel be bolted to the wall studs instead of the truss under it since the ties will be attached to the wall. So the steel and brick will be supported by the truss but attached to the wall. It was up 7 years the old way without cracking but my engineer prefers his way. Although he specified fasteners, when I found out that the old wall weighed

2700 pounds I wanted to fine out what the bolts can handle. I suspect the studs are the weak points as everyone has said but I can understand that the engineer thinks its a bad idea to have the wall connected by ties to the studs and the steel underneath it moving with the trusses.
Reply to
Art