Blown fuse

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:11:32 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

Exactly as expected. I'll take that as a no, ............pussy. Bubba

Well..... ok. Post your real name and address. Also, if you can, post a few pics of your house and your neighborhood, so I'll be able to find it easily. Then give me a date and time, and I'll be there.
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:04:34 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

How bout you do this. Post your phone number, not cell number. Or email it to me. I'll call you from my home #. Make sure you turn on caller ID and Anonymous Call Rejection. That is for you. That way I cant hide my real name and phone number. I'll even let you pick the date. I own the company so I can be here just about anytime you'd like Now you game? Bubba

Sorry, but anyone who would want to fight someone because he got his feelings hurt on usenet is a total fuckin' moron, and I don't give my home phone number to total fuckin' morons.
Besides, you're the one that wants to fight me, not the other way around. If I want to squash a bug I can do it here as easily as there. So if you want to fight you need to do it my way.
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:09:44 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

Again, as expected ....I'll take that as a no. ..........and you're still a pussy. Bubba

You're right. You want to fight, but you make the conditions impossible, so I say no. That worked out pretty good for you, didn't it?

You are what you eat, dick.

Simply post your address. I'm sure someone local to you will be happy to come over and discuss this in person.
after several requests, he still has no answer...I'm thinking he's got a big hat, but no cattle.

and I still havent seen you or anyone else take me up on my offer. Email me your phone number and I'll call you. Then we will both have each others name address and phone and neither of us will be posted on the net for all to see. It couldnt be more simple. Ive never seen such a bunch of mouthy pussies with no balls in my life. Bubba

If I send you my home phone number, then you'll have a way to get my full name and address, and you'll also have a way to call me up and harass me. I won't have anything from you. No name, no address, no phone number, no real email address, no nothin'. Why do you want me to take all the risks, while you take none? I'll tell you why. Because you're a little man with a fat head and a big mouth who insults people on usenet because you're too much of a wimp to do it in real life.
Either that, or you're a fuckin' moron. I can't decide which. It might even be both.
I also reread your posts. You're not very good at trading insults, are you? Needless to say, my insults were eloquent and devastating. You sounded like a bumbling fool. No wonder you threatened me. I'd get mad too if I was publicly humiliated.
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:58:18 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

So for the third time now, I guess I'll take that as a "No"? Eloquent? So does than mean you are a pussy AND a fairy? Bubba

You pussy!

Wow, Great comeback. You didnt hurt your brain thinking that one up all nite, did you Bobby? Bubba
classic signs of insecurity and an inferiority complex...when proven wrong or embarrassed, resorts to physical threats behind the supposed veil of anonymity.
I'd love to come visit. Please post your address and telephone number, Bubba.

R. Gregg Reed wrote:

Hi, Just find physically matching 5 amp fast blow fuse and try it. 27" analog TV ain't precision high tech stuff. If it blows again, try slow blow type one more time and if it blows too there is something wrong with circuitry, most likely on the power supply/regulator area. I'd clean the dust off first. Tony

Just a tip here....take a good look at the fuse, assuming it is glass, and if it is very black inside I wouldn't bother replacing it since most likely 10 times the rated current flowed and there is definitely a short. If there is just a small separation in the element then perhaps it just separated from contraction / expansion and replacing it most likely won't continue to do additional damage such as removing the traces from the circuit board. Now, if it's black inside you probably have, like Tony suggested, a short in the power supply such as the bridge or regulator. This would be very simple and most likely cheap to repair. Haul it down to the local repair shop and get a quote. If it's a basket case, which I doubt, you lost nothing otherwise it will probably be a minimum shop charge. Good Luck ....Ross
see also a more technical newsgroup: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair and thank you Sam Goldwasser for Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Television Sets at http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm

OK. We've found the fuse!
Now; why did it blow?
Expect 5000 more posts in this thread on the subject of whether it is safe, or not, for a person with, presumably, limited? electronic skills and test equipment to try and repair a, presumably colour? 27 inch TV which can have very high (read lethal) voltages of many thousands of volts. Presuming again, it is of the cathode ray tube type? Which under certain circumstances can emit X.Rays!
Puzzled the OP didn't ask the original 'fuse' question on an 'Electronics/scientific' repair group!
Be careful! Hope the OP gets lucky with just replacing the fuse. But as with anything fuses are there for reasons; which include protection of human health, safety and property!

I don't know. The previous owner said it just quit working. No lightning strikes, no sparks, no smoke, no crackling noises, no nothing.

I wasn't planning on doing any more than looking for the obvious. I also made sure it was unplugged before I took the cover off, and I didn't plug it back in until the cover was back on.

This group deals with home repair, which I thought was more appropriate than theoretical electronics. Also, my question wasn't specifically about repairing electronics. I just wanted some information on fuses. And this group had ten times the number of posts as the other groups, and I wanted a quick answer.

I replaced the fuse, and ran it a few hours last night, and about four hours today. No problems so far.
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:29:21 -0600, "R. Gregg Reed"

What difference does it make? Did you get the point that you can kill yourself even when it is unplugged?
OK, it's less likely, but did you ask how to avoid it?

You can describe a fuse in a sentence or two. Where it is used does make a difference in what there is to say about this.

Who says the electronics group is only theoretical. The one I read is not. And they do know more about electronics repair than the people here. (no offense, guys. They know more than I do, too.) It would have been a better group for this question. Far more likely to know what 5MF means, because there are so many more people there who deal with glass fuses.

That's good. That might be the only problem.