Blow torch, propane torch

Page 1 of 3
Does it bother anyone here that so many people refer to a propane torch as a blow torch, and that so few people seem to know what a blow torch is?
mm wrote:

Yes, but it is one of those things that you are never going to correct. I feel the same way about people that use the term "hot water heater".
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

It has to be a hot water heater... Who wants to heat the cold water, or have cold hot water :-)

Not in the least. Everyone knows what is meant, so what difference does it make?
I saw a blow torch at an auction and was going to buy just to see what it did, but somebody thought it was a collectible. Oh well.
mm wrote:

No, because they do the same thing. However, most people probably couldn't figure out how to start a blow torch without some help and wold consider them extremely dangerous.
There is'nt much diference...just figurative.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
George E. Cawthon wrote:

No, there is a huge difference. The old blow torch is nothing at all like the propane torches. Have you ever used a blow torch? Different fuel, different configuration, fillable versus throw away tanks, different flame patterns.
Apples and oranges are both fruit, therefore there isn't much difference, just figurative.

There is'nt much diference...just figurative.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
George E. Cawthon wrote:

George, you surprise me. Given your usual exactedness I figured it would bug you as much as me. I realize we cannot change the world's use of language, but I just can't lump together anything that has a flame with blow torches. Picky, I am.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Of course key to this discussion and which no one has really addressed, is what exactly is the correct definition of blow torch? I always thought it referred to the antique devices that used gasoline in a like a quart size container attaced to an upper part that was the torch. Like this: http://www.fotosearch.com/PHD248/os04018
In movies or the media, it's common to see that term used to refer to an acetylene cutting torch, but I wouldn't call it that.
A quick websearch found this from Wikipedia:
A blowtorch has several meanings, which deal with tools that consume fuel. It may mean a:-
Cutting torch, a handheld torch used for cutting metal. Blowlamp, a torch using propane or butane; its predecessors used gasoline or kerosene for fuel. One of the G.I.Joe toys is named Blowtorch: he is usually shown with a flamethrower. See blowpipe
Also, look at these, which are current ads for propane torches which are called blow torches, but many look remarkably similar to a Bernzomatic and use the same fuel:
http://microtorches.ayay.com/BlowTorches.htm
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0-759
So, what are others opinions of the correct definition of blow torch?
On 20 Mar 2006 03:40:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That is oxy-fuel cutting torch to be correct. Acetylene is just one of the potential fuels that can be used with that torch. Others include natural gas, propane, MAP, and possibly others. Different tips.

The antique you showed is a blow torch. More modern ones are a bit different. An acetylene torch is just that, a propane torch is just that, and a flame thrower is just that. However that doesn't keep people from making up names or using slang or the terms incorrectly. The blow refers to requiring a pump to build pressure and blow the flammable material out. Modern gas torches don't have pumps, so they just spew. Should we call them spew torches? A flame thrower could be a blow something, it isn't a torch. Nothing that shoots burning material 10's of feet can possibly be called a torch unless one also thinks a bulb type baster is also a medicine dropper.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I surprise myself sometimes. just too tolerant. I can't stand to read or hear a person say "affect" when they mean effect." But I have learned to put up with "bullet" for "cartridge." But I see little difference in function between the two pieces of equipment, but I don't really believe anyone uses a real blow torch. I don't think I understood your last sentence, since both have flames.
wrote in message

Blowtorch From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Blow torch) Jump to: navigation, search A blowtorch has several meanings, which deal with tools that consume fuel. It may mean a:-
a.. Cutting torch, a handheld torch used for cutting metal. b.. Blowlamp, a torch using propane or butane; its predecessors used gasoline or kerosene for fuel. c.. One of the G.I.Joe toys is named Blowtorch: he is usually shown with a flamethrower. d.. See blowpipe.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

If you rely on Wikipedia you are severely limited as there has been considerable criticism of this "resource." Blowlamp, for example, is rather uncommon in the USA (I have never heard it). I doubt many people know what a "blowpipe" is, and the item so called in geology, chemistry, and mineral studies is nothing like a gasoline blowtorch.
mm wrote:

No, why should it. It is almost always totally clear what they are talking about. From a legalistic view, consider that it is usage that determines what a word means not the dictionary. The dictionary only reflects usage. So based on that, blow torch now includes propane torches.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I hope blowtorches are collectible! I will sell mine on e bay! I only kinda used it once with my mom when I was a little kid helping strip lead base paint from a porch:(
I am 49 safety was different back then!
E bay here I come...............
now what about those people that call twist drills "drill bits". grrrr!