Blocked Soakaway

Page 1 of 2
My property has a septic tank that needs emptying more and more frequently. Does this mean the soakaway is blocked?
If so, is there any way to unblock it please?
Thx
--
Rhianfa

On 4/12/2013 7:01 PM, Rhianfa wrote:

I think they're called field lines instead of soakaways. It's been many years since I dealt with a septic system but there are some nice fellows here with septic system experience who would be glad to tell you what you need to know. ^_^
TDD

On 4/12/2013 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I've heard that too but I never heard them referred to as soakaways. ^_^
TDD
On Apr 12, 9:58 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

Back to the OP's problem.
How often do you have to have the tank pumped? Is what is pumped out of the tank sludge or very much liquid? If it is liquid and not sludge, then the drain fields are probably blocked. How many people in the house? Are they teenagers? What size tank? Have you added biotics to help the digestion? What part of the USA are you located, temperature and slois make a difference. How long have you lived in the house? Are you the original owners? Give us more info please!!!!!
On Apr 13, 3:58 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

It is a UK term.
On 4/13/2013 1:10 AM, harry wrote:

That explains it! ^_^
TDD

or tile beds (because before plastic pipe they used clay pipes called tiles with spaces between each one foot long length so the water could weep through the gap), now people refer to them as leach fields.
On 4/14/2013 1:36 PM, EXT wrote:

an old dug well as a septic tank. The overflow ran through tile out into the neighbor's old, defunct cherry orchard. Since all the floating solids went out the tile, we had to dig it up and clean it every 3-4 years. I will always remember the smell!!!!
Paul

My old boss and a co worker had to park some distance from a customer. so they took a short cut across a open field.....
they ended up walking into a cess pool a open area that sewage covered....
On Apr 13, 3:58 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

The name is Welsh, she may not realise most people here are USAians.
On 4/13/2013 1:12 AM, harry wrote:

But we'll still try to help our British cousins. o_O
TDD
harry wrote:

I suppose there are no expatriot Welsh people living here in the USA?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Welsh then.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Depending upon where in the US the septic tank owners live, they can be called 'leach fields', 'leach lines', or if the conversation is about septic systems in general, just 'fields'. As an aside, the length of leach fields is determined by the number of bedrooms, not bathrooms as one might expect, and usually 100' feet per bedroom.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it overflows, the soakaway/field drain/leachfield (take your pick) is likely clogged. This often arises through bad mantainence/not emptying the septic tank frequently enough which causes all the crap to overflow into the exit pipe and hence block the leachfield. Older septic tanks are prone to this, newer ones are designed to prevent this
Once it is blocked you have a major problem. Sometimes a temporary fix can be done by running a high pressure water jet through the leachfield pipes if they can be located. But in the end, the old leachfield/soakaway will have to be abandoned and a new one dug. This can be major expense and inconvenience.
On 4/12/2013 8:01 PM, Rhianfa wrote:

My system (USA) consists of two interconnected tanks followed by a leaching field. In 25 years I have had two back-ups. One due to the interconnecting line between the two tanks being invaded by roots and the in the second case the same line had pulled away from the first tank. If the system is properly designed, installed and operated, routine pumping will not be required.
Prior to my acquiring the home the sometime in the first fifteen years from building, the entire leaching field was replaced for the pipe (a composite) was collapsing.
On 4/12/2013 5:01 PM, Rhianfa wrote:

returned to the tank. If you are getting sewage backups to the house, then, yes, the leach-field/drain-field is blocked.
The people that pumped the septic tank should have also inspected the outflow trap to see if that is blocked. Probably ought to find a different company to pump and inspect the tank.
Paul
Paul Drahn wrote:

What? How does the tank get emptied (pumped) of solids without the water being pumped out along with the solids? I've had my two tanks pumped over the years and when looking into the pumped tank the water level was near the bottom of the tank. The water is replaced when the toilets, baths or sinks are drained or flushed. BTW, the old nickname for the septic tank pumpers was 'Honey Dippers".

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY