Block Wall Foundation

Which block do you need to use for a house foundation wall? 8" or 12"? The wall is to be 40" high. I do know, that if they to be under ground it would have to be the 12" block.

Reply to
basstracker66

Lets see is the house single, two or more stories? What is the soil like? How big and how deep is the footer? Where I live that is called a stem wall, which is part of the foundation. What do your building plans call for? What does the AHJ call for?

I have seen both on houses. 8 inch is more common on single story homes in the past. Now days no one uses block for stems. They all use engineered slabs.

Reply to
SQLit

Most are fine with 8" but don't ask here, ask your building inspector. He will know what you can do in your locality. Why use block at all? Why not pour an insulated foundation, or even an insulated concrete house?

Save a bundles of energy forever.

Edwin Pawlowski

Unless codes have changed a bunch, underground blocks do not have to be

12". The footings need to be wider than the block though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K