Block wall covering

I want to cover my exposed cinder block wall on the exterior of my house. It has never been painted so I would imagine I could do anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

-ysgi

Reply to
WizeGuy

Dri-Vit or Insul-Aid outsulation.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Paint stucco siding shingles velvet lining wallboard mosaic tiles mount used car parts deer heads advertising signs neon lights holiday ornaments

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is what I meant. Used car parts and disco balls are out. To clarify, we want to NICELY cover the wall, and to hide the fact that its a block wall as much as possible. Stucco seems reasonable, but I'm looking for something simple. I think I would need lathe and it would be a PITA.

Dri-Vit is nice, but I think you need to be licensed to buy it, or have to hire a contractor to do it.

So any more ideas are appreciated.

-ysgi

Reply to
WizeGuy

Thoroseal

Quickwall
Parging

DanG

My vote is for Drivit. Nice stuff. You only need to go to a good masonry supply house to buy it. Box stores don't carry it. TP

Reply to
TP

Last time I checked, you could do it yourself. I still have a roll of their alkali-resistant fiberglass mesh. I've heard of lawsuits, but that may have been poor installation. The system is over 50 years old now.

Insul-Aid was water-based, and easier to work with. You don't have to throw away all of your clothes after a job...

I got my old stone house with decaying stucco foamed on the outside, then stuccoed (3 coats, with no wire, just scratched foam.) It looks nice, but it was fairly expensive.

It mighta been cheaper to glue some 2x4s studs to the outside of the walls with a little foam, then staple up fiberglas insulation and add siding, eg cedar shakes, T-111, or vinyl.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

On Thu 01 Sep 2005 09:15:51p, WizeGuy wrote in alt.home.repair:

You would need a lathe to cover it in stucco?

Vinyl siding.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

You could just "mortar wash" the wall. It would look like stucco and would paint like stucco. You could even color the mortar, but that is another story.

Reply to
SQLit

Stucco *is* simple. And cheap. No lath needed on block. A contractor would be nice though since it *is* a skill. ______________

Cement paint? That is, paint containing cementatious material.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH