blinds- wood vs 'faux' or vinyl

I am looking for blinds for a window that gets quite a bit of sun/heat. Although not much moisture, if any. Against my better judgment, I went shopping around yesterday with mixed results ... Salesperson at Lowe's said "definitely faux wood blinds .. the real wood will warp!" Salesperson at Penneys said "You need wood blinds absolutely; the vinyl or faux will sag"

Anyone know the truth ?? thanks, mel

Reply to
mel

I have the faux wood ( vinyl) 2 inch blinds on every window in my house. They have been there for 3 years. No sagging. I use to have the steel Levelor mini blinds , they bend and were a mess.

My house gets lots of sun. this is Florida faces west and right now it is about 93 degrees outside. Never have had a problem with these blinds at all. And real easy to clean, just take them outside and hose them off. Real wood blinds you have to wax .

Hope this helps.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Preparation and proper installation (and maintenance) of the wood will keep it from warping. But vinyl/faux is easier.

Reply to
Bob

vinyl will sag, but at the same time you can find cheap ones for 5-10 bucks on sale so you could replace them several times before they would be cheaper than wood.

i think the real question is how dark do you want it. vinyl ones dont make it dark, they just stop people from spying on you.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I have the faux wood ( vinyl) 2 inch blinds on every window in my house. They have been there for 3 years. No sagging. I use to have the steel Levelor mini blinds , they bend and were a mess.

My house gets lots of sun. this is Florida faces west and right now it is about 93 degrees outside. Never have had a problem with these blinds at all. And real easy to clean, just take them outside and hose them off. Real wood blinds you have to wax .

Hope this helps.

Pat

Reply to
rosie read and post

The brand i bought was from Home Depot.

Grand Wood 2" Plantation Style faux wood blinds. I don't know where the last poster shops. But mine were $35 a piece for the 35"x 64". and $53 for the 52"x 64".

I always have to take some slats out, my windows are not that long. but it is an easy process. I also take mine outside and use my pressure washer on them but a hose will do fine. And mine don't sag . 2 have been up for 5 years and they are the 52 " ones.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

I am in the business as an installer for 18 years now.

Custom made faux wood blinds should cost half what real wood blinds cost. You will get some warping in real wood blinds no matter the brand, price or warranty. Real wood may chip or even peel the paint over time with adverse conditions. Faux wood the color goes all the way though. Custom blinds don't sag. Those cheap suckers at Penny's do sag so that salesperson told the truth. Faux wood weights about 60% more than real wood avoid blinds over 48" (36" best)

I have 23 of the real woods in my home because the faux product was not available the time of purchase. If I were buying today I would buy the faux wood from Lafayette Blinds, a fabricator using the better Hunter Douglas product line. All Hunter Douglas are not equal. They have several different levels of parts that the fabricators can buy.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

replying to mel, Dianne Phelps wrote: The vinyl does sag and eventually break

Reply to
Dianne Phelps