black "dust" in the air

Page 2 of 2
Hey, if I have a coal burning electric plant that pumps soot into the air, and then sends electricity to your house. Do you consider that a "non polluting" appliance?
How about if I have a Coleman generator that is chugging out fumes and burning gas. There is a wire going from the generator to the furnace. Is the furnace non polluting?
Is the hand dryer in the bathroom really "non polluting"? is electricity really more environmentally friendly than sawing down a tree to make a paper towel? I mean, the tree comes back in 50 years, we don't expect dinosaurs to come back.
I live in the power zone of Ginnae Nuclear plant. When I push the hand dryer at the restaurant, I am requiring the guys at Ginnae to make nuclear waste. Non polluting, my aunt fanny!
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote: ....

Can't let this pass w/o at least a comment, but I'm not going to get into a protracted argument.
Well, given that I'm assuming you're not going to quit using the hand dryer or the lights in your house, what do you propose for large-scale generation?
Overall, considering the entire fuel cycle, there have been studies that indicate that nuclear is the least of any of the alternatives you listed. A prime advantage over any of the fossil fuels is CO2 mitigation/reduction.
If we were recycling (as we should be), the waste issue would be significantly less of a problem (and it's not a technical problem, it's a political one, anyway) than the present on-site storage of spent fuel.
(NucE, ~20 years w/ commercial nuclear power, last 10-15 primarily working on coal-fired generation R&D...)
I HAVE SEEN THIS MANY TIMES HERE IN sOUTH cAROLINA. pEOPLE WHO BURN CANDLES HAVE A LOT OF SOOT IN THE AIR OF THEIR HOMES. bECAUSE THE SOOT PARTICLES ARE SO SMALL, IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO SHOW UP ON STANDARD AIR FILTERS.
Oops, sorry about the caps, caps lock was on :-)
The carpets will act like filters where doors are closed and you will get soot under the doors on the carpet when the doors are closed.
Remember that any time you have a yellow flame, you have incomplete combustion. That means that you will produce soot as well as carbon monoxide. That is why you have to be careful not to have a yellow flame in a gas furnace, it will soot up over the course of the heating season.
The soot that is on your furniture will be deposited inside your heating ducts as well, but it is not coming from the ducts, it is coming from the candles.
If you are breathing soot, you are breathing carbon monoxide as well.
stretch