Black Ant Problem

Very first research I did after we got online about 12 years ago was how to deal with an indoor carpenter ant problem. Found a university (Michigan?) professor's web site with a recipe of equal parts canned dog food (the greasier, the better) and cheap jelly, with a touch of boric acid. Idea being, as others have said, to kill the queen. This was actually an exterminator's advice; he said we were wasting our money on monthly service and suggested we invest some time in getting to the nest.

So, it was really interesting -- lengthy, but interesting -- to watch the larger and larger ants do the 'gathering' as the smaller ones obviously began to die off. Eventually, the guys that were coming out approached a good inch and a half or better in size. Creepy, and oh so hard to gulp and look the other way so they could take the bomb back to Her Majesty. Finally, after countless weeks, no more ants, and I've never seen another one since.I know that, theoretically, carpenter ants don't do sugar/grease like the little red guys, but all I can say is it worked for ours.

Key is, again, patience. My husband was of the more-is-always-better philosophy, no matter what the project, so we got nowhere fast when he was busy overdoing the boric acid. I finally took over the cooking and we made progress.

Good luck!

Reply to
jacy

Here's a site with some good info:

And here is a page on their website where you can buy a product that works well:

(I assume you can also buy the product elsewhere by doing a Google search).

I don't work for them, and I am not affiliated with them in any way. But, I do live near their office and I bought this product from them a few years ago and have used it at a number of different properties since that time. It worked perfectly every time. In my cases, I just went outside and looked for trees where the ants seemed to be coming from, put a little pile of the stuff at the base of the tree, and a week later all of the ants were gone.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
alta47

I had great results with liquid ant bait from Gardens Alive. No more Afro-Ant also known as carpenter ants.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon