Bird in Attic

In our new house, we have just found a bird flying around in our large walk-out attic. It found its way in but will unlikely find its way out. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get rid of this bird. (We understand we have a larger longer-range problem--preventing it from happening again, but that will be a different problem that we will tackle after it warms up a bit here in central coastal NJ). Thanks for any ideas.
Shotgun, M-80 or a cat all come to mind.
We had a BAT flying around our living room one evening. I scooped him out of the air with a fishing dip net and let him go outside... Maybe that would help...Jim

"Jim M" <jim> wrote in message

maybe try a bug fogger to kill him if you can't catch him
we had a bat once too. we tried opening the door and chasing it out, but nope. the fishing net worked like a charm. had to be a bit careful getting him out though. his wing got a bit tangled. didnt have a dip type net, just a big salmon grabber.
sure was exciting though.
randy
"Jim M" <jim> wrote in message

A. Barnhard wrote:

That bird is likely to be able to find his way out a lot easier than you think. If you like you may have a vent somewhere that you may open to give it another choice, but I suspect it will leave on it's own when it is ready. Look around carefully and find out where it got in. Plan on blocking that as soon as your guest leaves.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

you
give
ready.
Birds will fly to daylight. In a previous apartment, I used to get birds in furnace on a regular basis, from falling down the uncapped chimney. Open attic window, if you have one, or open the stairway or whatever if you don't, and leave an obvious route to an open window. (ie, one open bedroom door, all other doors closed, maybe hang a blanket to block end of hallway.) Turn off all the electric lights, so they don't confuse the poor thing, and leave the area to avoid spooking it. Odds are it will find its own way out in short order. Same principle works for bees and stuff that get trapped indoors. They wanna be gone as much as you want them gone.
aem sends...
-> In our new house, we have just found a bird flying around in our large -> walk-out attic. It found its way in but will unlikely find its way -> out. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get rid of this bird. -> (We understand we have a larger longer-range problem--preventing it -> from happening again, but that will be a different problem that we -> will tackle after it warms up a bit here in central coastal NJ). -> Thanks for any ideas.
There was a bird stuck in a foyer once. Came in when someone left the doors open. I chased the bird around with a shirt or sweater or something until it got tired, then threw the shirt over the bird and released it outside.
The fishing net is a good idea, except that the bird could get quite tangled up in the strings.
If you try this, I hope the bird gets tired before you do!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Attic Bird Report.
Today we have been unable to see any sign of the attic bird. We looked in all possible areas but many areas are completely inaccessible to us and to view. This morning, we left the attic lights off and left the door open into the adjoining bright heated room hoping the bird would be drawn out by the light and warmth, but nothing happened. We are concluding that the bird either has found its own way out of the attic or, considering how bitterly cold it has been here in central NJ,has died. Thanks for your suggestions.