Bi-fold doors - knob positioning

After installing bi-fold doors I am about to drill to put the knobs in place. The instructions say to place the knobs at the center of the leading door, however I've looked around at many bi-folds and see that the most common placement of knobs is either just to the left of the hinge (near the middle of the closet) or just to the right of the hinge (on the wall side).

What is the best location? (ie: before I start drilling!)

It seems to me that with the right-hand bifold on a closet (two panels hinged) the following occurs:

a) With the knob placed left of the hinge the door is easy to open, and must be pulled closed. If the knob is placed 'closer to the hinge than the center' on the left of the two panels then the bifold will be harder to close (because you're pulling near to the hinge).

b) With the knob placed right of the hinge the door is also easy to open, and must be pushed closed.

With all that said I want a closet with doors that both open and close easily. So ...

Should the knobs go on the left or the right of the hinge on each bi-fold section, and if they go to the left, should they be centered on the panel or placed nearer to the hinge?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Edelbrok

All the bifolds I've ever seen have the knob centered the panel furthest from the pivot point. Anything different would look 'wrong' to me.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer