Best ways to clean bathroom tile grout

Page 1 of 2
I'm a do-it-yourself newbie who's trying to clean the stained grout (used to be white) between the tiles over the bathtub in my bathroom.
The stains appear to be a combination of soap scum and rust stain.
I've tried several products that claim to be "grout cleaners," but they haven't worked.
Is there any alternative at this point to stripping all the grout and regrouting (quite a long job)?
Even some way of staining the grout white again?
-- Steven L.

*Comet or Ajax cleanser with a toothbrush. The bleach in the cleansers help with the whitening.
On 10/18/2010 11:32 AM John Grabowski spake thus:
[O.P. posted:]

Amen to that. Exactly the ingredients I was going to suggest: abrasive cleanser and elbow grease.
On 10/18/2010 4:48 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Elbow grease? My supply has been depleted for several years, so I like Scrubbing Bubbles for normal cleaning....it gets rid of normal soap scum without strenuous scrubbing. Rust stains my not be removable, but a rust remover (test inconspicuously) with phosphoric acid may do the trick. I've replaced grout in a shower and it is a fairly big project, but well worth it. In the process I discovered our old shower had a lot more soap scum than was apparent....tile is light taupe, matte, so it didn't show. I could only smell soap while working on the grout until I took a razor blade scraper to the tile. Whew! When all done, sealed the grout and keep the shower open so it ventilates.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:28:16 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

One great tool is a grout saw. You only need to take the tile grout down a little, but get the grime out when using it. Then top with some new grout and later seal...
http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/2780/278045_300.jpg
Steven L. wrote:

Possibly a product like CLR made for lime and rust stain removal. They all(?) are basically phosphoric acid so that should eat up the soap scum as well as get rid of the rust. They are pretty mild but if "acid" scares you, you might try vinegar. It should work too but will take much longer and/or repeated applications.

White grout is one of the abominations of man. Others include the IRS, politicians, traffic lights and light beer.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The primary constituent of which is...?
--
Tegger

Fiberglass!

acetic ....... errr ........ ethanoic ......... err .............something ...............
;-)
Steve

Well, the Romans got their vinegar by collecting piss. Must've been interesting when they brought the toga back to the cleaners... "Hey, Romulus? Yeah, my toga smells like piss, and it's not my piss. Can you run it through again? Thanks."
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:38:40 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

Water
--
Pete

I meant the primary thing that makes vinegar, vinegar.
--
Tegger

Spik and span (Sp) active ingredient was Tri sodium phosphate. Good for cleaning all sort of stuff like moss etc.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements /

You're joking, right?

Nope Jusy it is Spic and span,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spic_and_Span
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements /

In this branch of the discussion, the question was "what makes vinegar vinegar". In other words, what is the active ingredient? Take another shot at the question while we break for a commercial.

I'm sorry I always think of the entire tread and respond I confess sometimes incoherently.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements /

Looks like Spic and Span might still contain TSP. According to the MSDS, the ingredients contain: Anionic surfactants, water softeners (complex sodium phosphates, sodium carbonate), dry chlorine bleach, processing aids (sodium sulfate), metal protection agents (sodium silicates).
Mr. Clean ingredients: Cleaning agents (nonionic and anionic surfactants), quality control agents, perfume, colorant and water.
My wife bought two whole gallons of Mr. Clean many years back and I'm so glad we've finally used it all up. I'm buying some Spic and Span, as Mr. Clean hasn't ever done nearly the same job, especially on bathroom tile grout.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Water. Same as CLR et al. The acid in vinegar is very mild.
--

dadiOH

TILELab Sulfamic Acid Cleaner:
Found at HD _and follow_ the directions!!
http://www.viewpoints.com/TILELab-Sulfamic-Acid-Cleaner-review-b1d67