Best way to get cologne smell off of painted shelf?

I just moved into a new apartment and the linen closet has this smell in it which smells like Old Spice or something. Looking closely at the shelves, I can see a few spots that look like something was spilled (these spots smell the strongest.

What can I use to clean this?

Also, the unpainted wood doors have a bad odor...not sure why...can I use furniture polish on them? They're the cheapie, light wood doors that have a thin laminate? maybe...there not solid wood. They're not painted.

tia

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

Clean with Vinegar or if possible wet area with vinegar.

Reply to
malam

malam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Diluted, I presume?

Reply to
Nobody

malam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Diluted, I presume? What about the doors?

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

Patrick Maloney wrote in news:Xns983DEB7705EFpatXXrickmalXXoneyho@24.24.2.166:

I always use apple cider vinegar for taking away smells. I have no idea if the white vinegar works. Pour full strength apple cider vinegar into a shallow bowl and place the bowl on the shelf. Leave for a few days. The vinegar will absorb the odor. Replenish with new vinegar if the smell won't go away. Do not use styrofoam/paper since the vinegar will soak thru it.

Reply to
Marina

I would start by wiping it all down with alcohol .. ventilate the room and don't breathe too much of it. The odors are trapped in a closed closet, so it might help just to open it up, open windows, run a fan.

The bare wood, if it has absorbed a lot of whatever smells, can be sealed up with a clear finish of some sort.

Reply to
Norminn

I see you got a lot of good suggestions. If they work, good. If they do not work, put a couple of coats of Bulls Eye shellac on the shelves and interior. That will seal in the odor and make it easy to clean.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:73gOg.2130$c03.68@trndny05:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:73gOg.2130$c03.68@trndny05:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

Reply to
malam

Reply to
nospambob

It wasn't the vinegar - it was leaving the doors open. The gasoline, being very volatile, evaporated. The OP has a spill that might be perfume or cologne, which has alcohol for a solvent. It can be gummy or sticky when the alcohol evaporates, thus the suggestion to try alcohol first to get it up.

Reply to
Norminn

malam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for responding. We're talking white vinegar, right? Every place I read says White = cleaning, apple cider = cooking...

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

Norminn wrote in news:fXvOg.11884$bM.6379 @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Is alcohol = "rubbing alcohol"?

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Can I just coat the shelves with this BE shellac and use as is? tia

A funny thing I read somewhere is that Bull's Eye shellac is approved for ingestion (when dry) as a candy coating (look under Non-toxic/hypoallergenic heading):

Patrick Maloney

Yes, it can be use as a finish, just as is. Dewaxed would be better if you intend to put another finish on top. In fact, shellac is often used as a barrier between two incompatible finishes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good enough for this situation.

Reply to