best way to "file" 1/8inch off of grout?

had a broken 10 inch tile that i cut out
but was able to keep the grout intact all around
but can't drop the new one in, wider at the base than the top
so what i want to do is shave the grout back so i can drop the new tile in on top of the quickset
and then remix just a min amount of new grout with some of the old so that the color variation is minimized
so? what do i use as a file/shaver?
brick, cement block, steel rasp?
thanks
bill

My favorite tool is a dremel, with the appropiate grinding wheel. I would remove the grout back to the old tiles so that you can get a seal and be able to move the tile to seat it in the quickset

I agree. That little thing does what you'd do by hand if you had the time & muscle.
Joe F.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:39:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nwlink.com wrote:

stone used for cleaning up the cut edges of tile) and slightly taper the edges of the replacement tile until it just slips into place. Just be aware that you won't have as waterproof a joint as you would if you replaced the grout.
Paul
I use a combination of old chisels, screwdrivers and carbide tipped grout removal tools.