Best location for Dehumidifier?

I am using a 50-pint Dehumidifier for an area with a staircase. Cold air normally descends, but I don't know the properties of "humidity"--does it tend to travel "up" like warm air?
My question: Is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the bottom of the staircase, or is it better to place the Dehumidifier at the top?
Arthur
--
For email replies:
<Remove xy99spam>

Cold air cannot hold as much total moisture as warmer air, so condensation would tend to occur at the lowest location. A dehumidifier chills the air to condense moisture, and then uses it for cooling, making it somewhat warmer, drier and lighter. Or taken to the extreme, which way does water run?
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net /
wrote:

ing
Given time the humidity will be even, it will not sink or float up or down. I would suggest several factors that you may want to consider.
First as noted, you should choose a spot where you can drain it directly.
I would suggest choosing a location as close as possible to the source of the humidity.
Along the same lines would be a location that has good airflow to the damp area.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day
On 04-Aug-03 At About 00:16:28, Stormin Mormon wrote to All Subject: Re: Best location for Dehumidifier?
SM> On the local home repair show, some weeks ago they suggested mounting SM> a dehum about three feet up from floor level. And good air SM> circulation to the unit. So it doesn't make a dry corner and not dry SM> out the rest of the cellar.
What the hell are you talking about?? humidity transfers quite nicely through air and no matter where you put the dehumidifier the whole open area will be the same. you really need to stop trying to answer these questions!!
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

I don't know about humidity, but I do know about my own window-air-conditioner: lot colder near the AC than in the far part of the room.
Which is why I put a large fan directly in front of the louvers, to blast that cold (and dry) air around the room.
Also, I note that even there's a doorway, wide open, usually, into the bathroom, when I carry the (very) large fan over to the bathroom door and start blasting room-air into the bathroom, the air that comes out is far more humid than the rest of the room.
(No, shower is not on, no leaky faucets.)
------
QUESTION: do OTHER people have similar experience with (window) AC -- or is the air pretty much the same temp and humidity THROUGHOUT the room?
David
Try the fan blowing TOWARDS the AC. I can't explain it, but it sure cools a lot better. I've tried towards and away, both, and towards cools better.
My windowshaker cools right in front of it, and hardly at all on the other side of the room.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young