Best glue to reattach decals to child's trike

We bought a Radio Flyer twist trike for a granddaughter.
Several of the reviews on Amazon said that the decals come off. Well, ours just arrived and while putting it together, I happened to brush my hand against one of the decals. It lifted completely off.
I checked the other decals (there are 8-10 in all) and they are all barely stuck on. The decal itself looks like the soft stickers that are sometimes used to adhere to glass -- the kinds that can be removed and reattached, I think by static eletricity.
These are not exactly like that. They feel more like cellophane and they do have some very weak adhesive on the back, but are easily pulled off. They won't last a week.
I am wondering what kind of glue I should use to attach them more securely? I am thinking contact cement. Is there something better?
The one problem is that some of them are used to cover the recess holes where the thing is bolted together. I don't imagine ever having to take it apart, so I'm not concerned about permanently covering up the holes. In fact, I'm tempted to fill the holes with putty or wood filler the lessen the chances of something punching through the decal.
Suggestions?
This sure ain't the quality of my little red Radio Flyer wagon about 50 years ago.
Prof Wonmug wrote the following:

Try some spray adhesive. Elmers makes one, as does 3M. Check at your local Office Depot or Staples, maybe in an arts and crafts store.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

3M - http://tinyurl.com/ycwvg92 Elmers - http://tinyurl.com/yj8mnjb For Stephann King. I've been here a long time too.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The "77" looks like exactly what I need and a lot less messy that contact cement (I hope).
The chassis is plastic.
Thanks.
PS: Some of the decals are covering up recessed holes for the bolts that hold the thing together. Do you have any recommendations for what to use to fill those so holes won't get punched in the decal? I was thinking of putty or caulking.
Do you have any recommendations for what to fill the holes with?

I couldn't find as much info about this one, but probably roughly the same.

Apply the spray to the back of the decals that are on a large piece of newspaper or other scrap paper. DO NOT spay the bike as the spray is diffuse and would be very difficult to remove from around the decals if you spray the bike and then apply the decals and try to remove the excess. Trust me on this one!!!!
Fill the holes with almost anything that is possible to remove if necessary.
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 13:59:54 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

That's good advice and something that I was already planning to do.
I just finished the job. What I didn't expect was that because the decals are very light, if I don't spray from directly over the decal, the aerosol gust will lift the decal off the newspaper allowing some spray to get on the paper under the decal and then onto the face of the decal when it settles back down. I had a little clean-up to do on the first decal.
I kinda wish this adhesive came in a bottle with a brush so I could apply it directly to the chassis. Again, because the decals are very flimsy (slightly stiffer than cellophane), the adhesive makes them difficult to handle when wet.

I end up using regular silicon sealer. I think some sort of rubber-like putty would have been better.
Prof Wonmug wrote the following:

Two part epoxy in the stick form (like Billy Mays hawked), not the liquid. The two part stick epoxy was around long before Mays hawked his brand. Here's one, but you can get it in most hardware stores. (Amazon.com product link shortened)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I just finished the job. Thanks for the suggestion. This is a great product. I'm sure I'll find a lot of uses for it around the house.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I would use a water-based clear coat to glue them on, followed by two or three more coats for protection. Lacquer might work, but I'd be afraid the decals would wrinkle.

I got my twins Radio Flyer tricycles when they were little, a severe disappointment. A fine name in kids toys has been co-opted by Chi-com manufacturing.
--

Roger Shoaf

Prof Wonmug wrote:

The best site I've see for your question:
http://www.thistothat.com /
TDD
-snip-

Good start- but note what they say when one of the this's is plastic "There are so many kinds of plastic its hard to give advice here that applies to them all. If possible try a small test in an area that doesn't show. "
I suspect those chinese trikes are that accursed polyvinyl that *nothing* sticks to.
Jim

I have no idea what type of plastic it is, but the 3M 77 adhesive recommended by willshak seems to have stuck very well -- at least for 1 day.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It's probably high density polyethylene, "HDPE". You might look up what sort of glue would be good for that. Look for a marking somewhere on the item. I'm not sure if it's a government requirement or not but I see most plastic items with a molded in script indicating what it's made of.
TDD