Best flashlight?

Page 1 of 2
Looking for a mini flashlight, something to put in pocket with clip, the best bang for the buck.
Suggestions?
Looking for a mini flashlight, something to put in pocket with clip, the best bang for the buck.
Suggestions?

Mag Lites may be best, but the best deals are the 9-LED ones given out free with coupon at Harbor Freight stores. The coupons are in their newspaper inserts, sometimes magazine ads (Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, any auto magazine, Forbes, Business Week, Time, Newsweek,...). The Spanish language newspapers given out free may have the ads.

All of my 9 led ones failed in some manner. I have bought many flashlights, and most I have to bang on them to get working. The best and most reliable ones I have were bought at Target and are River Rock but not available any more at Target or anywhere ?? I bought many from Deals Extreme and have to bang on them.
zek wrote: (slightly edited by me for space)

The common cheap 9-LED 3-AAA flashlight, in its earlier days, had a switch that I found to be "cranky". Lately, the switch has been better.
However, I am still a bit concerned about the switch, and the connection between the tailcap and the body feels cheap and cranky to me.
Same for the 3-LED but otherwise-similar light from Dollar Tree. I also once had one those have its body short to one of the AAA cells when using a slightly-beaten AAA cell, due to the battery carriage not fitting well with AAA cells - regardless of their condition.
Dollar Tree has a somewhat larger plastic-body 3-LED 3-AAA flashlight, with a pushbutton switch on the side of its body. That one appears to me well-made, especially for its price - except the switch feels "cheap" to me, and I wonder if that switch can get cranky. Its output is weak as far as most flashlights go, but plenty for getting around in the dark.
I also like those MAG LED flashlights, especially the 3-AA one. The 2-AA one appears weak in output to me. They appear to me reliable, but expensive for their capabilities.
What I also like are Dorcy 3-cell LED flashlights that have high power LEDs. They appear to me well-built, though the 3-D-cell one I had appears to me to lack means to limit the LED current. I found it to work well anyway.
(The MAG and Dorcy ones that I have experience with are 1-2 year old models using LEDs of specific types now discontinued.)
One that I am very happy with - the 109-LED one from Harbor Freight. It feels well made to me. Its switch is "low-high-off", using only 25 of its 109 LEDs for low. Performance appears to me fairly good for its price. I am expecting excellent battery life, especially on "low", since it uses 4 AA cells - which generally don't cost more than AAA ones but have about twice as much juice. However, this one is larger than pocket size, especially with its head being over 3 inches in diameter.
Harbor Freight also has a 32-LED 3-AAA one. That one appears to me to be well-made, though its performance appears to me a bit weak for its price.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmm. I've mentioned before that HF flashlights come in representative political colors: Red for Republicans, Blue for Democrats, and Black.
Now you tell me the blue ones don't have their heads strapped down correctly.
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:10:09 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What are "signal passing airliners"?

Streamlight
Charley Nukin wrote:

Biggest bang for the buck is the free flashlight from Harbor Freight.
On Nov 4, 5:44am, "Stormin Mormon"

The similar 6-LED Husky brand flashlights that Home Depot sold for < $10 a 6-pack were machined much better.
the one that shines bright.

Go figger. You Brtis are smart.
On 11/4/2010 9:10 PM, Oren wrote:

Brits call them "torches".
TDD

There is no such thing in one flashlight. I like a small cheap LED. I also like a small yellow one I have with a 90 degree swivel head, black and yellow, plastic, has a clip, but the moveable head makes it nice. I have a headband Ray-O-Vac that, for $12 or so, is head and shoulders over many others that cost ten times as much. Has a LED with three brightness settings, regular bulb, and red bulb for times when you don't want a lot of light. There are as many uses for flashlights as there are flashlights. If I had to pick two, I'd get that little yellow one with the swivel head, and a cheap LED with about 12 lights. You can get them today for about $8. If you want to splurge and buy one that will last longer, go for it, but you have to figure out the actual cost based on how long it lasts. Oh, and I like the waterproof ones, plastic or metal. Check often, I have had batteries leak a lot on the smaller flashlights.
HTH
Steve
Charley Nukin wrote the following:

http://www.zbattery.com/AA-Mini-Mag-Flashlight-with-Pocket-Clip-and-Colored-Lenses-BLACK
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Shaun Eli wrote:

Though I expect this flashlight to kick some serious butt, I have some doubt about that 100 lumens.
Lumen figures often sound to me like assuming:
* fresh (or sometimes even better-than-fresh "ideal") batteries,
* cooling of the LED sufficient to get the junction part of its chip down to 25 degrees C (77 degrees F) (requires the flashlight to be much cooler than room temperature),
* 100% efficient optics.

On 11/3/2010 7:40 PM, Charley Nukin wrote:

If you want quality (good beam, efficient battery consumption, reliable) you need to spend a couple bucks but it is well worth it. I carry a compact CREE single lithium cell on a belt holster that came with the flashlight. CREE are basically an LED on a chip and are the highest efficiency you can get. The flashlight has multiple intensities and a good regulator circuit so you get a lot of use out of the battery. I also have a velcro mount so I can use it on the bike.
On 11/3/2010 7:40 PM, Charley Nukin wrote:

How much light and how broad?
The numerous 3 AAA 9 LED lights put out a lot of light (enough to work in) in an even coverage. Quality varies by brand. Fits easily in a pocket. ~$2.50 at the big box stores. The Borg sells one with magnets, that is brighter than the rest, also larger.
I had a 1 AAA Dorcy (Wally World) that I liked a lot but now can't find. Aluminum housing, about $5. Very small.
Big Lots has got a "divers" 1W (I believe) light that I think takes 4 AAA. ~$9. Brightest at a distance, narrow beam. Switch is just unscrewing the light end. Long and thin.
The problem with all flashlights are the battery contacts and the switch. Some of the real cheapies are hard to unscrew.
Haven't tried the LED Maglights.
Got a lot of flashlights here! I carry a 9 LED most often. I like the broad even light.
Oh, don't get a black flashlight, hard to find in the dark!
Jeff

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:47:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Or law enforcement? If so, then the _The New Handheld X-treme Series_
When I'm rich...
http://www.insighttechgear.com/products.htm