Bending Trex by heating

Page 2 of 2
Back in 2013, I posted that Trex suggested 180 - 200F for bending their product. It worked out fine and we enjoy the bench with its armrests almost every day.
Conversion formula is: degrees F = degrees C x 9/5 + 32, according to what I learned in jr high school 65 years ago.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net writes:

That was 65 years ago.
Now we all know to type into the Google search bar:
"180f in c".
--
Dan Espen

And sadly that's all some of us know. Even if you don't know the formula, you need to know there are (212-32)0 F degrees between freezing and boiling, while there are only 100 C degrees between freezing and boiling, and the offset at freezing is 32. Makes it easy to "rough guess" the temperature conversion. Double the C temperature, subtract 1 for every 10, and subtract 32 and you are pretty close in F.
That's if you integrate from the freezing point of water...which is what ha s typically been caught, buy which also makes the equations asymmetric.
The two lines cross at -40 deg (-40 F = -40 C)...so you can integrate dC/ dF = 5/9 from that point and get symmetric equations:
C = 5/9 (F + 40) - 40 F = 9/5 (C + 40) - 40
One only has to remember that 5 Celsius degrees span the same temperature d ifference as 9 Fahrenheit degrees...which follows from 180 Fahrenheit degre es (between water freezing at 32 F and boiling at 212 F) being equivalent t o the 100 Celsius degrees between the same two markers).
Steve