Bending Rebar

Page 1 of 2
OK...here's a project I'm planning for the next two weeks. Moved to a new neighborhood back in September, and other vegetable gardeners here tell me that the deer bring shopping carts and pruning shears when they target a garden. So, I'm resurrecting an old idea I used at another place. I'm going to make U-shaped tunnels (like quonset huts) made of galvanized fence wire, and place them over certain rows. Previously, I've only had to deal with rabbits, so I've held the tunnels in place by bending some of the wire outward and putting bricks on them. I suspect that deer will laugh at this arrangement. So, I want to use some sort of heavy metal stakes instead. My first thought was to use u-shaped pieces of rebar, placed over each end of the tunnels and pressed into the ground. My theory for bending the rebar: Tie a blanket around an appropriately shaped tree (to protect the bark), and my son and I will pull the rebar into a U shape, using the tree as a form.
But...I've never handled rebar. Does the bending idea sound practical?
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:42:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I'd just buy a bunch of the heavier tent stakes (the kind that are big enough to need to be pounded in with a hammer.
Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

OK, but the rebar solution is so much more complicated and expensive. Doesn't that count for anything? :-)
Bend rebar, maybe, if, you are real strong. Why not a 1/8-1/4" piece of wire-stock. How about a motion detector sprinkler made for animals, they use batteries to trigger the unit and shoot a sharp stream

Those water things work for about a week, until the animals get over the joke.

rebar can be bent with a bender called a "hicky". It is really designed to do tight bends on GRC or IMC conduit. Should be available at any electrical supply store. I have never seen them at the box stores. Not that I have looked. A regular GRC bender will work, larger radii and you run the risk of making the bender useless for conduit. Using this method stand on the rebar and bend. Then cut.

Only #3 rebar (3/8 inch) can be bent by hand without a bending machine. Just don't bend it over your knee, try wrapping it around a tree or post. Anything thicker like #4 (1/2 inch) will probably need a bending machine. There are electric and manual ones for rent depending on how much bending is involved. If there are 90 degree bends, a manual bending machine at the rental shop would be my choice.

You beat me to it. Yes #3 is what they use for swimming pools because you can bend fairly complex shapes by hand. Just use long pieces and get out on the end of them for leverage. If you are making a tunnel that is not a problem. Wear gloves. If you are making a bunch of identical ones you could make a bending jig with some plywood and wood blocks screwed to it defining the arc.

Thanks. Furiously making mental notes which I might even remember when I get to the store. :-)

http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp?ts=Fri%20Mar%2011%2004:58:13%20PST%202005
That link doesn't work. How about a brief description of what you're suggesting?

I bend rebar by sticking it into a 4' chunk of black-pipe with 6" sticking out, sliding the remainder into a 6' chunk of black-pipe, standing on the former, and pulling up on the latter. The rebar naturally bends to about a 4" diameter curve.
Once I got a bundle of short re-bar rods from Lowes that was so stiff that it would hardly bend, and which snapped abruptly at around 90d.. That was exciting, and I don't know if it was because I got defective rebar, or there's more than one type.
If you leave that rebar staple in the ground through a season, you may well need a pickaxe to pry it out again.
--Goedjn

You were probably using an ungraded rebar for it to snap. A graded bar like Gr.40 is softer and easier to bend than a Gr.60 bar and should never snap bending it to 90 degrees. If you got it at Lowes then I would complain, it can be very dangerous to work with.

It'll be lifted out probably once a week so I can weed under the tunnel.

I got some full lengths of that once. If you bent it, it would break. I didn't use it for re-inforcing. I forged BBQ forks from it. The tines would not bend. I could pick up a stack of briskets on a 3 foot fork.

http://harborfreight.com/
typ "bender" under keyword

Holy smokes! Lotsa $$$ for something that I'll only use every few years.

Can't you rent a rebar bender at a rent-everything store?
Mike

Dunno....haven't checked yet.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:49:43 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Maybe you could develop it into a hobby!
BB