Bending Rebar

Hey...then I could start a newsgroup just for people who bend rebar in their spare time. Or not. I could just go fishing.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Try this:

Tom Miller

Holy smokes! Lotsa $$$ for something that I'll only use every few years.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

....and, those things don't look like they're designed to bend rods into a LARGE U-shape. Hold your arms straight out in front of you. That's about the width of the upside-down U-shaped wire structures I'll be making.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. The "something else" will be fence wire (the green plastic-coated stuff with the 4" or 5" square openings). It'll be the

6 foot high stuff. Take a 10 foot piece off the roll, bend it into a U like a quonset hut, make the U-shape permanent using (probably) some scraps of copper electrical wire across the bottom, so when I left the structures up to work under them, they don't want to pop outward and damage the adjacent plants.

I already have a very effective cold frame. During warmer weather, I remove the lucite panels and replace with chicken wire. But, the garden's 40 x 40 feet. I'd need a lot more cold frames to protect all the smaller plants (lots of greens, carrots).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Here in the South, we just use an animal control electric fence. One strand of bare wire all the way around the garden, with an insulated handle for an access gate. Won't electrocute, but it will damn sure get your attention. Total cost $75 or so, depending on how far you go. They will control as much as 75 miles of wire, depending on the model you buy.

For reference, no affiliation.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Yeah...this is on my list, too. But, based on the real-life experiences of several gardeners in this neighborhood, I'd need 2-3 strands to deal with the various critters. Put one strand low enough for raccoons, and the deer will step over, or worse, jump over. Worse because they'll trash whatever's in the way of their feet. So really, 3 strands are needed here.

Other than that, I like the idea. Got a whole plan in my head. But, won't have time until later in the season to do the necessary trenching (to the garage) for the electrical feed.

Reply to
Doug Kanter