Be nice to someone else

In my part of the world (New York) it is snowing.

I was leaving a parking lot, and noticed a car stuck nose first into a snowbank. Stopped to help. We were up to Plan C, before we managed to get the car out. Plan A was for me to shovel some snow out from under the drive wheels. Plan B was to pitch a bag of kitty litter under the wheel that was spinning. Plan C was to get out my rope, and tie from their frame to my truck, and give them a pull.

As I was leaving, I said what I always say. Be nice to someone else. Ask him (or her) to be nice to someone else, and someday it will get back to me.

I leave you with that instruction -- be nice to someone else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Snippo....

Kinda like the time you stole that $100 bill from that poor drunk woman?...and then bragged about it on your..(pardon insane laughter inserted here)...hvac group?

Reply to
CBhvac

A few years ago I was on my way to work and the axle in my scout broke. It was still dark out and I was on a lightly traveled road. A few minutes later a lady stopped and gave me a ride to work where I called a wrecker. I was surprised that a lady by herself would stop especially in the dark and I ask why she had stopped. She reminded me that I had stopped and helped her a couple of years before. It probably helped that I was still driving the same blue IH Scout. Good deeds do come around.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

A few weeks ago on my way home from work I saw a car stopped on the side of the highway. It 5:30 PM and it was dark, cold, and a woman was standing in back of the car. I stopped to see if I could help . She had been standing ther for about an hour and counted 550 cars and truck that passed her. I let her use my cell phone to call a relative that came to pick her up. When someone thanks me or even offers me money for helping, I refuse and just tell the person to do the same if the situation come up.

At the price of cell phones today, it sure pays to have one "just in case".

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was raised to do good deeds and be kind to everyone, no matter what they looked like, how they spoke, or who they were. I have tried to do this all my life. I make a point of holding doors open for anyone and everyone, no matter if they appreciate it or not. I stop every time I see someone in obvious distress on the side of the road. And I try to be helpful in any way I can to everyone I meet. And I am doing my best to teach my 2 little girls to do the same.

I can't keep track of how many people thank me and how many folks stop my family and I in public and tell my wife what a good man she has (that never gets old). That's not the reason I do the things I do, but it makes it more worth it to me. However, the best part of it to me is when folks tell my wife and I what generous and helpful children we have. I have noticed a definite lack of decent people in the world and I'm glad that I can do my part to add a few more. It all comes back to you in the end, be it your good deeds or your bad.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

- TexasFireGuy -

- Nehmo - It's heartwarming to see everybody pat themselves on the back. And I don't doubt that your typical ng poster is more likely to help than your run-of-the-mill Schmo. But in general, in much of the US, your typical driver is not concerned whatsoever about the welfare of other travelers.

Over here in Kansas City, many people are so scared of strangers, they don't even want somebody to stop to help. I've stopped and then walked up to cars stuck dead in the middle of the road to ask if they wanted to be pushed out of traffic. They say, "No" and that they've already called AAA or someone on their cell. And the local news stations sometimes run pieces recommending caution-first behavior. Fox 4 recently instructed stranded motorists to not roll down their windows (if someone approaches) and to just call for help on the cell. If the motorist doesn't have a cell, the announcer suggested staying in your car until the police arrive. (This, by the way, is ridiculous advice since the wait may be many hours even on a well-traveled road.)

If you're a stranded motorist, how likely cars are to stop for you depends a lot on attitude of the local area. In a small white town, the next car may stop. In a large city, you're in trouble. The same goes for hitchhiking. And while we're on that subject, How many of you good Samaritans pick up hitchhikers (and I don't mean cute girl hitchhikers)?

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

I've picked up several, though the numbers have been fewer in recent years.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

I appreciate that. Many years ago my Honda Civic slid off an icy country road. No phone or buildings in sight. After 20 minutes a man stopped and told me to get in the car while he pushed (with his hands) the car back onto the road. It took less than a minute of his time, but I could not have done it myself. I held out $20, he refused it, and said "Do something nice to someone else." I never saw him again.

Reply to
Phisherman

Oh, geez, was that you?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Last August, in a severe thunderstorm in Central Ohio (I'm from Arizona), I took the wrong split of US23/US35.

I immediately realized my mistake and took the first exit and stopped in a rural road turn-out trying to find myself on the maps.

A gentlemen drove up beside me, rolled his window down and shouted "Lost?"

He had followed me off US35 when he noticed my predicament and then gave me detailed directions to get re-oriented in that messy interchange.

Then he just drove off.

Nice people are NICE!

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

One thanksgiving day many years ago, I loaded the wife and my two young daughters into the car and headed off to grandmamas house. Getting a head start on traffic we departed pretty damn early on a cool and foggy (really foggy) morning. An hour away from home the upper radiator hose blew.

After pulling to the side of the freeway, and not knowing which direction to head to get help, I scrambled up the embankment and found myself in a residential neighborhood.

To make a long story short. A kind citizen loaded me into his car, drove to a the nearest autoparts store, waited while I purchased a new hose and coolant, then drove me back to my car.

What could have been a *serious* problem was resolved in less than an hour...

I typically won't stop on a freeway to offer assistance, but I will do so on surface streets.

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf