Battery Shelf Life

Texas GOT it right!
Witness the Joe Horn shooting controversy.
Now on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

F-ing thieves should be shot on sight.(I've been a victim)
CY: Sad to hear that, Jim. You save your money, and buy a much needed generator, and it disappears. That's no good.

Duracells leak more often than other brands I've used. (except for Harbor Freights "Thunderbolt" cells;those were horrible.) I don't use Duracells any more.
CY: I've had good results with the HF batteries. I had some that looked a little like Duracell "Infinity Beyond" from Ebay. they were out of date, and about 1/6 of them leaked. AAA cells, was the size. Others have written that Duracells leak. And other people write that Energizer has good quality control, and seldom leak.
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:06:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Generators don't disappear (thin air), nor grow legs and walk away.
Head beatings are soon commenced for the guilty.

well,it was my Acura Integra GS-R,not a generator. First had the ECU stolen off it(unusable for 6 weeks),then a few years later they stole the whole car(and my tools),stripped it and torched it. Gone in 60 seconds,literally,despite alarm and anti-theft measures. I didn't even have a chance for a single shot.
2 neighbors had their motorcyles stolen within a week(I saw one happen!),another one had her bicycle stolen off her screened patio.

I bought a box of the HF Thunderbolt AAA alkalines,and half leaked before I got to use them,in just a short time. Some of the ones in use also leaked.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Golly. That deserves at least ONE warning shot. Even cocking a round is a deterrence.
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:19:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

And don't mess with our clocks (DST= Damn Stupid Time :-)).
[snip]
For single use batteries, there are three "basic" kinds. Carbon cells, alkalines, and lithium.
Carbon cells last two to five years, maybe. These are the ones that say "Heavy Duty".
Alkalines last a lot longer than that. About six weeks ago, I opened a flashlight I bought 10 years ago. Mag light, with Energizer D cells. Unused, in the original package. Worked fine.
Lithium batteries are supposed to last even longer than that.
If you bought alkalines, there's not much worry. As others have suggested, many VOM have sharp tips you can stab through a package. You can also make a tester with a PR-4 bulb and a piece of wire, to do a quick, crude test to see if a C, D, or AA, or AAA cell is working. For lanten batteries use a PR-12 from terminal to terminal.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Carbon-zincs are a waste of money.

alkalines are rated 5-7 yrs stored life.(retaining 85% of their capacity)

Lithium are rated for 10 yr stored life.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Carbon-zincs are a waste of money.
CY: Generaly, yes. They are good for giving away to other people. And good for short term needs, like a flashlight you only need for the weekend.

alkalines are rated 5-7 yrs stored life.(retaining 85% of their capacity)
CY: You mean, that the Mag light I stored for ten years is now a 2.55 cell mag, instead of a 3 cell mag?

Lithium are rated for 10 yr stored life.
CY: And how much capacity at the end of the decade?

IIRC,90%. Lithiums also operate in a wider temp range.(like cold temps,where one might want to take pics with their camera and alkalines would be affected)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It makes no sense to buy lantern batteries when the batteries cost more than a new lantern with battery.
KC
In my experience (yes, I did test a bunch) alkaline batteries last four times as long as carbon cells. The Walmart near me, the cheap lantern went from 3.50 to 4.50. So if the alkaline lantern battery is cheaper than $18, it's a good deal.
Of course, you can't give an Energizer alkaline lantern battery to four kids, to play flash light tag out in the field. So, the cheap lanterns have their uses.
Alkaline batteries last a LOT longer on the shelf, so they are good for hurricane preps.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You can never feel safe. There is no safe place to hide and no matter how many batteries you have, there is no safe place. If God is not trying to kill you with a hurricane, tornado, or other storm, there are people with sick minds everywhere, and all of them want to kill you and other people. If it's not God or other people who kill you, there's severe dangers everywhere. Driving cars, using electricity, lakes, oceans, explosions, sharp objects, disease, poisoned food, wild beasts, terrorists,falling trees, nuclear disasters, war, house fires, swine flu, bacteria, heart failure. All of these are watching you, and waiting for the right moment to end your life.
Safety is an illusion. There is no safe place to go. No batteries will save you. It's just a matter of time and place !!!!