Bathtub painting

I am considering renovating one of my bathrooms. The bathtub needs to be replaced/painted as it is 30 years old. It is in good condition - no chips, rust, etc. but it is harvest gold - remember that? Anyway I need to decide whether to replace it or have it painted or whatever you call it. Anyone had experience with recolouring a tub or should I bite the bullet and have it replaced?

Reply to
Ultraglide

If you paint be sure who paints it guarntees their work, I had mine done they took a day to clean it and it has lasted 5 years.

Reply to
ransley

If you are renovating, it probably makes sense to change it, especially if you are redoing the tile (or whatever you have for a tub surround). Even a well done "paint job" will require special care to keep it looking good. A new enamel steel tub is around $140 (+/-) and a basic white cast iron tub is under $300.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Nothing wrong with harvest gold, especially if the matching toilet and sink are still there. (I have a denture-pink cast iron tub and mud-bed tile job, 1960 vintage, but a previous owner changed the toilet and sink to white.) I've never been impressed with repainted tubs, in person or on here- people sound like they are trying to convince themselves they made a good choice. If the tub is in good shape, I'd just clean it well and call it good, and pick the other new colors accordingly. If you are gutting the bath anyway, buy a cast iron tub, not steel or plastic. If you keep the gold tub, a new drain assembly and trim kit for the fixtures can make an amazing difference.

(BTW, I looked at the local Borgs, and they don't have cast iron on display any more. Guess if I redo this bath, I'll have to order one through a real supply house.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

When something drains well and doesn't leak the harvest gold suddenly looks good! There is a company that fits a new tub inside the old one in the color of your choice--might cost less and faster than replacing.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Ultraglide" wrote in news:3rCuk.7002$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net:

best to replace. covering that gold is going to be tough.And the tub epoxies don't last that long,and yellow. you have to clean them with NON-abrasive cleaners like 409.

if you do decide to paint it,hire a pro that uses the new urethane finishes.Those don't yellow.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Keep in mind that those liners make the bathtub smaller, especially the 'universal' ones. Not a trivial concern for fat and/or large folks.

They are also plastic, and suffer from all the same cleaning restrictions as any cheap plastic tub or surround kit. (It sucks having to wax your tub to get it to stay clean.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm with aem of the Pepto pink bathroom here; that old stuff was built to last, and if you can design around it, you'll be much better off. I'm living with a corner tub/shower (fortunately white and not harvest gold, I will admit) that I think was installed in the late 60s or early 70s that I have no intention of covering or replacing because I'll never see the money out of that.

I really think the days of recouping remodeling costs are over, so unless you are totally set on a completely new look, there's no shame in keeping the old stuff if you can successfully decorate around it.

Reply to
KLS

Best is to replace it, but a proper professional paint job will look good and last a reasonable amount of time, but not as long as new.

This is not a DIY job. BTW If harvest gold looks good to you, don't worry about what others think. Next year you might be respected as being the first of the newest color.

Reply to
jmeehan