Bathroom spigot screechs

Re: Bathroom spigot screechs
'allo,
I belong to little brick bungalow in midwest, built in 1954. Bathroom is unimproved but well maintained.
Lavatory spigots. When I turn the cold on or off, it screechs noisily. Tiny little screech when I turn hot on, none when it's turned off.
Washers were replaced 1-2 years ago.
What makes it screech? How to fix?
TIA, Puddin'
****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Puddin' Man wrote:

Old spigots had metal-to-metal threads on the stems. Take the stems out and lube with Plumber's grease or silicone grease.
Jim
Appears to work fine.
Much thanks to Speedy Jim!
Cheers, Puddin'

Are you sure its the faucet thats screeching? Ask This Old House had a homeowner on the show who was complaining of a screeching faucet and it turned out to be the toilet filler valve. So the toilet was screeching and not the faucet but it screeched only when you turned the faucet on. It had to do with the pressure drop in the pipes when the water turned on that allowed the toilet to screech. Replacing the toilet float valve fixed the problem.
BTW, the home owner thought it was the faucet too. Evidently you couldnt tell where the sound was coming from.
dickm