bathroom smell

We have a relatively small bathroom with no windows. The bathtub is against an external wall. Every time it rains heavily there's an odor in the room. It's not really bad but it's mildly unpleasant and because of the rain, I assume it's dampness. During a dry spell I soaked the ground outside the house where the bathroom is, and the smell returned.
What could be wrong? The house is only four years old and this has been going on since we moved in just after it was built. The bathroom has carpet, which we plan on replacing soon with tile. Might the builders not have 'sealed' under the bath or something along those lines? If the wax seal on the toilet is not in right, could this explain it?
Thanks.
Paul
It is quite possible that there is a very large hole through the floor or slab under the bathtub. This would allow odors from the soil inside and these might be more noticeable when the soil is damp. The builder left about a 2 foot square hole in my son's house. I don't think a problem with the wax seal would be related to dampness. Don Young

against
room.
D'Olier wrote:

I doubt if it is the wax ring. The weather would not make a difference.
What kind of foundation do you have? Slab, craw space or basement. I suspect that may be the problem and you may need to do some work on drainage around your home. The soil should slope away from your home for at least 15 feet in every direction. Downspouts need to be directed away from the home.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

If the soil is the source of the smell, I'd look for a leak in the waste pipe. (Reading your 2002 post, I thought waste water had soaked into the floor materials.) Tom Baker
Is that the waste pipe from the toilet? How would I look into this?
Paul

Might be for the whole house, since it appears to be outside. Might be a branch from the bathroom. You mention the soil staying damp. Tha's a clue. Dig down and see if you find more damp and smell. It will take a plumber to fix. TB
It's a slab. I noticed before that the soil can remain pretty damp around this area. However, we have a deck covering it now.
Paul

Presumabley we'd have to remove the ub to check into this. Is this a DIY type job?
If there is some sort of hole, how does the smell float into the bathroom? Wouldn't the bath and tiles and everything else be air proof?
Paul

We found out at my son's house when we opened an adjacent wall to do some other work. Removing the tub would not be practical. I don't know how air tight your construction is but generally odors (such as dead mice in the wall) become evident in the rooms. If you have a suitable wall, it may be possible to put a small hole through into the area to check whether that is the source. Don Young