Bathroom sink replaced

Sigh! In a day full of s**t. one ray of sunshine: AN HONEST PLUMBER. (OK, down boys; I know there are many of you out there!) I first contacted plumber that had done some work for me in the past, but his hourly was ridiculous, and that isn't just my opinion.

Then I got a recommendation from the store where I bought the basin, faucets, fittings. "Sid" is an older guy with know-how out to here. He went to a lot of trouble to solve my problem -- get sink that fits the cut-out in my antique sewing machine cabinet. Mfgrs apparently changed basin measurements since long-ago sink install.

"Sid" sent his son "Jim" who had been in the biz for ages, and he also took a lot of trouble and did a great job. Warned me of every possible pitfall ahead, just to avoid surprises and give me choices. He went back to the store with old sink; they sold him one that didn't fit the cut-out; he went back and got the almost-right thing. Had to gouge out of the greenwall a space behind to fit the sink.

Looks gorgeous; I always wanted dual white handles.

"Jim" said it would be less if I paid in cash, so I said drive me up to the ATM; he said "nah, just drop it off when you get a chance". !!! Modest bill; a fraction of what first plumber would have charged, and I doubt if he would have been so caring & creative, based on his first visit to check it out. OK, so now I know who to use next time!

Reason I am posting this: "Jim" said he father was trained in the UK, where they have to take a lengthy course of study to get licensed. Said U.S. plumbers may know how to do stuff, but don't know what's behind it. Hope this is clear...?

Interested in reactions.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

[snip]

This is amazing! Not one NG member addressed my question about the extra training required in UK vs. whatever is required in US! That was a serious question.

Everybody was focussed on cash vs check payment.

? HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson