Bathroom Fan Amp Draw??

I am planning to tap into an existing light fixture so that the fan will be on when the lights are on. There are a total of 6 lights that can be 60 watts maximum each (or a total of 360 watts). The fan motor draws (I think) about 2 watts. I haven't bought the fan yet, but one I looked at that had a lower CFM rating had a motor that is rated at 1.5 amps, so I am using 2 amps as a working number for the fan.

If my math is right, the current draw of the lights is 360W/110 V or about 3.3 amps. The circuit breaker is 20 amps. Is this enough to account for the "in rush" current of 6 light bulbs and one fan motor?? I'm pretty sure that it is, but just want to make sure before I start cutting holes.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Yep, your math is correct, a twenty amp breaker will be more than enough.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You should be able to get up to close to a total of 20 amps without a problem. Standard circuit breakers allow a staring surge.

As it is your total is well below the safe working load. I don't like to go over about 50-75% and you are well under that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hmmm 120 volts @ 2 amps is 240 watts. Still, with your 360, you are still not even getting that "2400watt" circuit breaker's attention.

Reply to