bath taps

I cannot remove my bath tub taps i've popped off the plastic cover, and removed the screw from it. However i cannot get them to come off..Any IDEA on what i can do to get them off? i tihnk that they're siezed on there because of the water crap. I've tried bangin away with a hammer to maybe loosen them up, but to no avail! Matt
Peter Forsberg wrote:

There is a tool called a "handle puller". May be available at larger home improvement stores or at a plumbing supply house.
If the handle is metal, applying heat (torch) to it *may* help loosen the grip. Wear goggles if you do this and mind any combustibles nearby.
The tool is the best bet though.
Jim
The best thing would be a small "puller", i.e. a gizmo with tong-like fingers that sit in behind the handle and a screw in the middle of the front that you screw down to push against the valve stem. Depending on what you have, you may need to put the screw which held the handle back in so there is something to push against. You won't have to pull very hard, most likely. The handle would come off relatively easily if you could only apply the force in the right direction (which you can't do with banging or a screwdriver or...)
These pullers are more or less standard hardware tools, you can find them at a hardware store or whatever. Tell the folks what you are trying to do and they can point you at the right size and shape. You can rent pullers at a tool rental as well but I think these are often pretty big. You might try a tool rental though.

Peter Forsberg wrote:

them... the cost of the tool is about $12 at home depot, lowes, ace hardware etc... they have more expensive ones but if not doing it for a living the cheaper ones are great....