BASIC oil burner questions

HI, Well, I have to replace my 30 year old oil burner ( water) and am looking for a replacement. Have had 3 diff contractors in for 2 diff boilers; 2 like Peerless,(cast iron) one suggested Burnham cast-iron (which I read here that Burnham does not have steel nipples,but rather the preferred iron nipples, but it seems now they only have steel).

Anyway, what is getting me are the descriptions specifying the burners abilities:

ie., Burner capacity (GPH) - (numbers for Burnham V-83 series oil burners are 0.75 for one model and 1.05 for another) what is that exactly?!, -

the ability for the burner to heat a specific amount of water over time

or the amount of water that the boiler holds in its tank. How do I use this info, again how does knowing what these values mean help me make a

descision on which boiler model to get?

The same for DOE heating capacity in (MBH)- yes, I have had seen what DOE stands for, but again, in sentence form, how do I use this value, to understand which model is better?

The link is

- if one is interested in seeing what I am looking at.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this. I could not find useful definitions anywhere on the net.

Thanks!!!!

Matt

Reply to
Matt S

Firing rate (per hour). IF it ran for a solid hour (hopefully it won't!!), that's how much oil it would burn.

Nobody has recommended Weil McLain? Buderus? Not saying there is anything wrong with the other two.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab