Basement Wall Question [see pics]

Can anyone advise what might be causing this. I am being told it is mineral deposits or the like but not a water leak?
http://mysite.verizon.net/davenchristy/house/wall1.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/davenchristy/house/wall2.JPG
Sure its water , the water is causing efloresence. You need to fix this from the outside, regrading , gutters etc.
Sure looks like moisture coming thru the wall to me. Tape up a square of clear plastic against the wall for a few days and see if mouisture appears under it.

It's called efflorescence. Basically an alkaline and salt. It is from moisture, though not necessarily leakage. My home inspector told me that while unsightly, it is not necessarily a problem.

It IS a problem if you are going to finish the basement.