Basement Finishing Question - Dampness related

Right now my basement has some inexpensive foam-backed indoor/outdoor pile carpet rolled out, some drywall interior walls but that's it. Joists and insulation are exposed, with hanging 48" fluorescent shop lights here and there; exterior walls are concrete block painted (on the inside) with UGL waterproofer (the rough white cementious stuff).

We never get standing water in the basement, and we run a dehumidifier down there. But we do get some mildew or mold in some spots where the cinder block wall meets the poured floor. Periodically I clean it up wtih bleach and paint over it again with the waterproofer. It lasts about 6-12 months and I do it again.

Does this present a problem if I wanted to have some drywall put in to finish off the basement walls? The mildew would then be behind the wall, so I'm guessing it would, and that's why I haven't done anything yet. Is there some solution (dessicant?) short of digging out the foundation of the exterior wall? (which isn't entirely possible thanks to a deck, sunroom, and septic tank extending beyond the footprint of the house).

I would also like to avoid a French drain; we have no standing water inside. I'm just afraid if we do nothing we'd have a huge mold problem behind the drywall. Maybe there's no simple or inexpensive solution - but I wanted to check to get other opinions. Thanks,

Russell

Reply to
Russell

For starters; are all down spouts piped away from your home and is the ground graded away from the home in all directions for at least ten feet?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is the dampness coming from inside or outside of the basement? I've read that you can tape a sheet of aluminum foil (?) to the wall at the damp spots and see which side the water condenses.

If you're lucky then it's just inside humidity condensing on the cold walls that is feeding the mold. If that's the case then the proper way to fix it will be to build framed walls with insulation and a vapor barrier on the room side of the studs.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

We do have working downspouts and they do get rid of water at least a few feet away from the house.

Grading isn't perfect but far from bad. Front of house does grade away. Back of house - generally flat. One side - driveway, graded away. The other side is where the problem is worst. On that side, the grading is parallel to the side of the house. So it doesn't run away or toward the house there.

The next reply might have something to it. We get the mold even during drought. So maybe it is fed from the inside. We do run a dehumidifier down there but perhaps we should set it on maximum.

Reply to
Russell

That would be great news. As I mentioned in a reply to the first person who replied, we have a dehumidifier down there but we only have it set maybe 3/4 toward the maximum. Just didn't want it running all the time, or drying out the air so much as to hurt our pets (who sleep down there).

Reply to
Russell

Keep reading the above. :-)

Reply to