basement dehumidifier, condensate pump

well summer is coming and that means are three/fourths finished basement is going to suffer from humidity. i plan on getting a dehumdifier (50pt model should be enough i hope, 1300sq ft, 7ft ceiling) but don't want to empty the bucket constantly.

what condensate pumps are recommended that are quiet and reliable? also, is there any particular place a dehumidifier should be kept (i.e. closer to the window, center of the dehumidification area, near the dryer...)?

the back of the basement is unfinished, there is a washer/dryer and a sink. i was hoping to run the hose to the sink but it's about 40ft from the center of the finished area (if that's the best sopt for the dehumidifier).

i was looking at little giant pumps but i can't tell the difference from model to model. hartell maybe?

Reply to
lessbluez

Dehumidifiers have drains just hook up a hose and raise it up so it drains the 40 ft, it doesnt need to be in the center of the basement.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
lessbluez

A pump wouldn't need to move much water very fast in that application. Almost any low volume pump would work. I would wire it in series with a float switch (and possibly a control relay depending on supply voltage and rating of the float switch I get).

Lowest cost would be something like a fountain recirculation pump or one used in a diamond wet saw. They operate like a sump so they need somewhat deep pool to sit in.

A pump capable of draining the tank dry would cost a bit more but would be compact and neater as it can be connected anywhere along the drain tube.

Reply to
PipeDown

I've heard that dehum should be about three feet from the floor. Not sure where I heard that.

The Little Giant condensate pumps I've seen should handle that load, easily.

Do you have central AC? Makes me wonder if you can include the cellar air into the air flow, and use t he evaporator from the AC system as your dehumidifier.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can buy a condensate pump with a built in sump and float used for furnces and central ac at home depot or Lowes for around $50.

Reply to
Art

how about this one as an example?:

lessbluez

I have no idea about this question, but if the answer is that it can be located anywhere, my suggestion is this: Put the dehumidifier in the unfinished area, and raise it up on a pedestal so that it can drain into the laundry sink by gravity.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

That is a perfect example but why pay postage if home depot or lowes has it. Also they normally come with vinyl tube which is not mentioned in the auction.

Art

Question, would a 40 pt dehumidifier be enough for a basement (~1,300 sq ft)? I've been reading about the soleus cfm 40, supposed to be quiet and only 330W.

Either that one or the far more expensive comfort aire 50 pt model (630W). Ceilings are only 7-8ft.

Reply to
lessbluez

Actually, the Soleus CFM 40 E (newer model?) is a bit more expensive than the Comfort Aire BHD-501A. Anyone have experience with either? Does 40pt mean it can only remove 40pts/day? If I have a hose runoff, can it continue to remove water or would it just stop after every 40pts?

Reply to
lessbluez

Don't forget to check Sears.

Last year (summer) they had two kinds ("sears"), one bigger than the other.

I got the bigger one, and have been happy with it.

For lhow *I* use it, I have it on the floor, with a fan a foot in front of it blowing the air out into the reat of the (narrow) room.

Reply to
David Combs

Did much the same.

I had one on my furnace to pump condensate out -- it kept overflowing = and blowing itself out.

Bought a dehumidifier and ported it to the floor drain (all basements = are supposed to have one) and set it to maintain about 40 percent = humidity. That was 20 years ago and I have only had to replace the = dehumidifier once since then (cheaper than getting the old one fixed). = My tools have not shown any sign of rust since.

Reply to
PDQ

Set the dehumidifier above the sink and let gravity do the work. The air will move the moisture about, if not a small fan is a better investment than a pump.

Reply to
bamboo

I've been looking for a small pump for some time too. I don't have a sink in the basement nor a floor drain and forget to go down to empty the dehumidifier in the summer (not needed from October to June).

Reply to
Keith Williams