Basement ceiling ideas

Looking for ideas please. I'm going to put up a ceiling in my basement, and I don't want a dropped ceiling because I don't want to lose the height. My best idea so far is to nail up furring strips perpendicular to the joists and then use tongue-and-groove ceiling tiles, stapling them to the furring strips. That way I only lose about an inch. I have seen the Ceilingmax system and that's still an option, but my idea would be cheaper. I'd rather not use drywall.

The problem is that I had hoped to find 2x2 tiles, but all the staple-up tongue-and-groove tiles I've found are 1x1. That would mean twice as many furring strips and longer to install. So two questions:

1) Are there in fact any 2x2 tiles of the interlocking staple-up type? 2) What other ideas am I missing, understanding that I want to lose as little ceiling height as possible?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

Use Ceiling Max. Thats what I used in mine. you can get it from the borg. Here's a link to Micheal Holligans show on it.

Brian V

US:

Right, you /don't/ want drywall, because basements usually have pipes and wiring that you want to preserve access to. In fact, if your ceiling will cover up any electrical boxes, you must preserve easy access to them per code. Boxes may not be buried under permanent construction. Drop ceilings are considered as providing ready access. I am inclined to think stapled tiles would not.

You don't need a huge depth for a suspended ceiling. 3" will do if you don't have recessed lighting, and you may be able to work cans in between the joists. I'd really advise you to use that. Being able to pop up tiles and work on stuff keeps you legal and is extremely handy besides.

I don't know enough about the proprietary systems to say much.

G P

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Think ahead no matter what material you choose: What if a pipe breaks or you need to wire or rewire something? A basement ceiling that is accessible makes repairs and such easier.

Reply to
franz frippl

Give a thought to spraying the ceiling with a white latex paint. Spray everything... pipes, ducts, joists, etc.

I saw a basement finished that way. It was bright, no loss of ceiling height, and complete access to everything.

You don't get any sound insulation, but if you're partying, everyone is in the basement anyway.

Reply to
Anonymous

Perhaps tongue&groove pine boards?

Reply to
Jackson

make it removable whatever you use. before you know it something will need repaired or upgraded, tongue in groove it one of the worst choices

Reply to
hallerb

Not if you install it with velcro!

: )

P.s. and that ain't too totally far fetched either!

Reply to
Noozer