basement

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I need some advice on how to enclose the electrical service panel. The problem is with all the conduits that come out of the top of the panel, I cannot get a header in there in order to frame it.. Does anyone have any advice??? Thanks

Reply to
<troubled

Frame that section of wall with 2x8 or 2x10 instead of 2x4 that leaves a 4 to 6 inch floor to ceiling "pull out". Onto that pull out install a regular pre-hung door of maybe 18 to 24 inches in width for access. You want to have good access to your mains panel for the future, above and below.

Reply to
RickH

If you dont like the full vertical protrusion, then you can keep the wall flush over the mains panel, but soffit the entire length of the wall above to accomodate just the pipe radius. In either case, to me, full vertical or full horizontal lines created by pull outs look better than small "tack ons" where only a small section looks different that the wall whole. IOW work the whole wall for aesthetics, not just that piece of it where you need to protrude.

Reply to
RickH

on 8/8/2007 11:54 AM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Build a closet around it. That&#39;s what I did to hide the panel, well pressure tank, and water softener.

Reply to
willshak

I don&#39;t think you mean header. Are you just looking for a way to have a fastening surface for the drywall? A piece of metal stud base plate turned on edge has about a 7/8 flange and it can be cut to accommodate pipe.

Are you changing the panel cover out to a recessed type or are just doing the best you can with a surface mount lid? It is often nice to frame your new wall out enough to clear the box. You can put a cabinet door type "cover" over the hole to provide full access to the panel.

Reply to
DanG