Baseboard heat on all the time?

I have hot water baseboard heat. We just had an addition put onto the kitchen.

The contractors extended the baseboard heat from the kitchen into the addition.

The way this was done was by getting rid of the old baseboards in the kitchen and running new baseboards that had the return pipe inside the baseboard.

Originally a pipe from the basement ran up into the left end of the kitchen baseboard. The right end of the baseboard had the pipe going back into the basement where it then ran to under the living room and up into that baseboard.

Now the basement pipe that ran up to the left end of the old kitchen baseboard connects to the left end of the new baseboard. The new return pipe now connects to the same pipe that the right end of the old baseboard connected to (the one that runs to the living room).

Now the return baseboard pipe in the kitchen/addition & the baseboard living room pipe are hot all the time. The kitchen/addition pipe that has the fins connected to it (i.e the one that is suppossed to supply the heat) doesn't feel anywhere as hot as the return pipe.

None of the other baseboards radiate any heat. This is with the thermostat set off (i.e too low to go on)

I haven't replaced the thermostat yet (but I would think all the pipes would be hot if that was broken) Is it possible thatthe contractors connected the heat & returns pipes backwards? Or what they thought was a return pipe really wasn't?

Reply to
saag

It is NOT the thermostat. You have siphoning action going on in the system. Get the contractor back to do it right. Maybe I'm just tired, but I'm not following the diagram you are explaining, but in any case, hot water will flow by itself as hot water rises, just like hot air.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

thanks. I have a oil burner that heats the water for both the baseboards and the hot water faucets. I called a plumber friend who said something about possible a flow control valve that's letting water heated for the faucets get into the pipes for the baseboard. I contacted the contractor & asked him to send out a plumbing/heating guy.