Baseboard Heat Cabinets

In one room of our house I have an old style hotwater baseboard heater that is encased in a heavy gauge metal cabinet that measures 6 feet wide, 30 inches high, and 6 inches deep. There are slotted cuts in the face of the cabinet near the top to let the heated air out. There is about a 4" gap under the cabinet to let cold air in at floor level in the front of the cabinet. The cabinet covers a finned baseboard element about 6 inches deep

2 inches thick and 4 inches above the floor. I want to build a new cabinet that is the 6 foot width but only about 1 foot high. Would I be losing a tremendous amount of heating capacity. Thanks for any input.
Reply to
John F.

You won't lose any capacity as long as you have the same amount of openings both top and bottom, as you have now.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Like this answer a lot. Thanks for the info. Any idea what the rationale for such large cabinets was at the time these were designed? John

Reply to
John F.

Many years ago (in the 1960's) I worked for a company that made baseboard, sil-line, cabinet heaters, etc. In many cases, the customer specified a larger enclosure to match the other cabinets in a room. Most was commercial, hospital, school classroom applications. I have to wonder if the original installation at your house was what someone had that was cheap at the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually this large metal cabinet and baseboard element was put into a addition on the house and mixed with standard Slant Fin base board on the other side of the room. Guess they may have thought the very large cabinet would hold/radiate more heat than a similar length of standard baseboard. And also could be as you noted the plumber had it. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
John F.

We can increase the heat output of baseboard fin tube by increasing the air velocity passing the fins. One way to do this is to mount the fin tube near a slot at the bottom of a boxful of hot air, and let the bouyancy of the hot air column increase the air velocity.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam