Base Molding - bowed floor

Is there a tip or techique I can use for installing a base modling over a tile floor that has a slight bow. If I place the modling against the wall and push on either end the molding moves a 1/4 on the other end. The section I am installing the modling on is about 6 feet long.

Reply to
Joe C

Scribe it or use some shoe to cove the gaps..

Reply to
Rick

Scribe it to the floor

-or-

Use a quarter round

-or-

Eat your Wheaties and push the floor down really hard and nail the baseboard in place.

Sorry, that last suggestion might not work.

Reply to
Dan Espen

professionals push the floor down and then come back in a month and install crown molding in the room below to cover the warped ceiling down there...

Reply to
HotRdd

The bad news is that if the floor has a bow the joists are probably not installed correctly and the tile will crack. That is one reason I will never use ceramic tile again. We had one low joist in our new home in the bathroom and after 6 months got a crack the entire length of the master bath.

Reply to
Art

You can make the molding thinner which will help bend it. Also you can wet it (if it is wood). You should be able to bend the molding with the floor using finishing nails.

Reply to
Phisherman

Typically a baseboard molding is a 3 or 4 inch high piece of wood. I fail to see how it's going to bend along that axis.

That's what quarter round is for.

Reply to
Dan Espen

For a short problem area like that, I'd scribe it with a 2" block under each end, and a kid's school compass set to same height as block, just like Norm does on the TeeVee at least once a season. Just cut away or plane the area below the line. If you are using quarter-round, you don't even have to be that fussy, but to make the corners look right, you do have to remove material, unless you also want to raise the base on each adjoining piece.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I always install the baseboard before the tile floor. water in the grout joints tend to leach under the baseboard when placed on top of floor. scribe the baseboard and caulk the joint where it meets the floor.

Reply to
3G

sounds like the joists were installed (bow side up). sounds right to me.

That is one reason I will | never use ceramic tile again. We had one low joist in our new home in the | bathroom and after 6 months got a crack the entire length of the master | bath.

ceramic tile or any other tile.......doesn't matter. next time use floor leveler befor installing tile. thinset should have made up the dip in the floor.

a crack the length of a room tells me that the plywood joints were not staggered. and/or cement board was not installed correctly.

| |

Reply to
3G

Nope.... one joist was slightly lower than the rest. Plywood was sitting above it... not on it Cracked tile the entire length when plywood settled to joist. We removed tile, mud w/metal grating and subfloor. Put a straightedge across joists..... that one was installed a bit low entire length. Ceramic tile requires a perfect floor.... hard to get in a recently built home when the framers consist of people picked up for the day of work at a street corner.

Reply to
Art

| > sounds like the joists were installed (bow side up). | > sounds right to me. | >

| > That is one reason I will | > | never use ceramic tile again. We had one low joist in our new home in | > the | > | bathroom and after 6 months got a crack the entire length of the | > master | > | bath. | >

| > ceramic tile or any other tile.......doesn't matter. | > next time use floor leveler befor installing tile. | > thinset should have made up the dip in the floor. | >

| > a crack the length of a room | > tells me that the plywood joints were not staggered. | > and/or cement board was not installed correctly. | >

| | Nope.... one joist was slightly lower than the rest. Plywood was sitting | above it... not on it

you are full of it how can the baseboard rock back and forth (1/4") if the joist is lower.

Cracked tile the entire length when plywood settled | to joist.

subflooring glue would have made up the difference.

We removed tile, mud w/metal grating and subfloor.

a full mud job and it still cracked you are still full of it

Put a | straightedge across joists..... that one was installed a bit low entire | length.

damn lumber yards you think all the lumber would be the same width......nah.

Ceramic tile requires a perfect floor....

nothing is perfect. except, you are a perfect liar (almost).

hard to get in a | recently built home when the framers consist of people picked up for the day | of work at a street corner.

those aren't workers their picking up at the street corner

| |

Reply to
3G