bare wire and wire nut question

Ideally wires going into a wire nut will have only so much bare wire so that that bare wire is entirely underneath the nut and you only see insulated wire coming out the bottom. It seems like by design there's maybe a 1/4" of insulation tucked up in the nut (measuring from the nut's bottom edge).

My question is what if one of the wires in the nut has its insulation cut point at about level with the nut's bottom. So that if you look straight on from the side you don't see any bare wire, but if you tilt the nut so you can underneath it you can see the bare wire just above the rim.

I can't imagine this really matters, but thought i'd check first. I'm finding this happening to me occasionally as I do a project. It's when I've got 4 #12's to fit in a red wire nut. I twist them with my klein's first (as directed by the inspector). Occasionally, although the wires start with the same amount of bare wire all lined up, one of those wires slips down a bit during the twist, so that if I were to cut off the bare twist so that that one wire will stick up well in the nut, the rest of the wires would be pretty short.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
benjunk

Some wire nuts recommend twisting the wires and some don't. Personally I prefer to strip about an inch of insulation then twist the wires. It's important to hold all the wires tight so none ride up while you're twisting. Once you have them twisted and tight, cut the twisted end with lineman's pliers leaving a neat, straight bunch, then twist on the nut. If there is any exposed conductor, put a wrap of tape on it

Reply to
RBM

I have less of problem with this when I use the wing style wire connectors such as those from Ideal or the Buchanan B-3's. They seem to be deeper than the standard wirenut. You could wrap some electrical tape around the base of the wire connector and cover up the copper.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Ben,

This problem should be obvious before you put on the wire nut. If you think this will happen after you have twisted the wires together use your wire cutters and remove 1/8" of wire from the twisted ends, then put on the nut.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Make sure it didn't come loose in there then tape the whole thing. No problem.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

Wrap wirenut with electrical tape when completed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You've described the process done incorrectly. Practice on some scrap wire until you get it right.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I twist it, then clip it to the proper length, then screw on the nut, works every time.

If I am pigtailing a real lot of wires (over 4) then I'll twist it, put on a wire tie (at end of insulation), clip it to length, then screw it. The wire tie prevents the twist from falling apart while you clip it and get the nut on.

Reply to
RickH

If that was true it would not be a splicing device as required in

110.14(B). Virtually all of the listings do NOT require twisting the wire
Reply to
gfretwell

Remember that from the rules, a wire nut is a short protector and not a connector. Twisting the wires first helps in all cases, but particularly in the case of solid wire of around 14 or bigger, since the nut won't twist the wire that much. I twist the wires with Kleins, then clip what is long and looks like it will bottom out before the nut is on all the way.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I believe that is incorrect. Wirenuts are specifically listed for use as splicing devices not just as an insulator. If you use a quality properly sized wirenut there is no need to do any twisting or whatever prior to applying it. I have never seen a manufacturer's app note or any code reference that suggested or required twisting.

Reply to
George

That is the way to do it. Strip more than enough copper.

After striping the wire, hold the wires together making sure the ends of the insulation are even. Then twist just a little. If one of the wire's insulation is not lined up, then push on that single wire enough to make it even.

Then, do a tight twist and cut off the end.

Reply to
Terry

That explains all the Electricians who have tried to kill me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you implying that anything has been suggested that is not an accepted wiring method?

Please explain.

Reply to
Terry

Never mind.

When I first read your message, it took it to mean that electricians that used electrical tape were trying to kill you.

Reply to
Terry

I go for laugh. No get.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm glad we got that straightened out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just stating opinion. It could be incorrect. Everyone has the right to do it any old way they want to.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Nonsense. Just look on the box, and you'll see "Listed as a pressure-type wire connector on the following..."

Reply to
Doug Miller

This is the 2nd time you've agreed with me in less than a week. Something is wrong here.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom