bare wire and wire nut question

Page 1 of 2
Ideally wires going into a wire nut will have only so much bare wire so that that bare wire is entirely underneath the nut and you only see insulated wire coming out the bottom. It seems like by design there's maybe a 1/4" of insulation tucked up in the nut (measuring from the nut's bottom edge).
My question is what if one of the wires in the nut has its insulation cut point at about level with the nut's bottom. So that if you look straight on from the side you don't see any bare wire, but if you tilt the nut so you can underneath it you can see the bare wire just above the rim.
I can't imagine this really matters, but thought i'd check first. I'm finding this happening to me occasionally as I do a project. It's when I've got 4 #12's to fit in a red wire nut. I twist them with my klein's first (as directed by the inspector). Occasionally, although the wires start with the same amount of bare wire all lined up, one of those wires slips down a bit during the twist, so that if I were to cut off the bare twist so that that one wire will stick up well in the nut, the rest of the wires would be pretty short.
Thanks for any advice.
Some wire nuts recommend twisting the wires and some don't. Personally I prefer to strip about an inch of insulation then twist the wires. It's important to hold all the wires tight so none ride up while you're twisting. Once you have them twisted and tight, cut the twisted end with lineman's pliers leaving a neat, straight bunch, then twist on the nut. If there is any exposed conductor, put a wrap of tape on it

That is the way to do it. Strip more than enough copper.
After striping the wire, hold the wires together making sure the ends of the insulation are even. Then twist just a little. If one of the wire's insulation is not lined up, then push on that single wire enough to make it even.
Then, do a tight twist and cut off the end.

I have less of problem with this when I use the wing style wire connectors such as those from Ideal or the Buchanan B-3's. They seem to be deeper than the standard wirenut. You could wrap some electrical tape around the base of the wire connector and cover up the copper.

Remember that from the rules, a wire nut is a short protector and not a connector. Twisting the wires first helps in all cases, but particularly in the case of solid wire of around 14 or bigger, since the nut won't twist the wire that much. I twist the wires with Kleins, then clip what is long and looks like it will bottom out before the nut is on all the way.
Steve
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:19:41 -0800, "SteveB"

If that was true it would not be a splicing device as required in 110.14(B). Virtually all of the listings do NOT require twisting the wire
SteveB wrote:

I believe that is incorrect. Wirenuts are specifically listed for use as splicing devices not just as an insulator. If you use a quality properly sized wirenut there is no need to do any twisting or whatever prior to applying it. I have never seen a manufacturer's app note or any code reference that suggested or required twisting.

Just stating opinion. It could be incorrect. Everyone has the right to do it any old way they want to.
Steve

Nonsense. Just look on the box, and you'll see "Listed as a pressure-type wire connector on the following..."
--
Regards,

This is the 2nd time you've agreed with me in less than a week. Something is wrong here.

You're getting smarter? <g>
--
Regards,
Ben,
snipped-for-privacy@pookmail.com wrote:

Make sure it didn't come loose in there then tape the whole thing. No problem.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

That explains all the Electricians who have tried to kill me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Never mind.
When I first read your message, it took it to mean that electricians that used electrical tape were trying to kill you.
I'm glad we got that straightened out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You run the risk of an inspector deciding that the tape is being used to hide sloppy workmanship, and tear it off to check.
It's better to avoid needing it in the first place. Lining up insulation ends, twisting, and then clipping the wires even is a good way to avoid this problem altogether.
--
Chris Lewis,