bamboo flooring

For installing 5/8" solid bamboo T&G flooring, should I use cleats or staples?
Also, will bamboo work over radiant floor tubing?
franz frippl wrote:

The installation instructions for the particular product will describe appropriate detail for all approved applications/installations including whether it is considered suitable for radiant heating.
Check on the manufacturer's site or the product packaging.
"franz frippl" wrote

While apartment hunting in Japan, one place was having the flor redone with what they said was a bamboo material. They had little things (very small) that looked like caltrops (3 feet down, 1 up) on a sort of formed chipped wood looking base. They tamped the little 'caltrops' into that which was fairly soft then gently tamped the bamboo 'boards' into it, if that makes sense. This was being done only as a boarder material around a tatami room.
We didnt get the place for several reasons bt one of them was the warnings about how the stuff was softer than even the soft pine commonly used there, very easily damaged. While you cant wear shoes indoors there in most places because the flooring materials are very soft and will damage from them (even sneakers are a no-no), we were told the care of the bamboo area was quite delicate. Very subject to dampness and cleaning was to only be done with a damp towel, wiped dry immediately.

I have no way to know if the type is the same as what I saw, but if so, then not a good idea. The temp changes would create condensation and the stuff was very subject to dampness damage we were told. It was however very unique and lovely looking!

very hard material. Most of the commercial flooring stuff is in line with hardwoods when it comes to durability.
On a somewhat related note, I recall trying to help a neighbor remove some unwanted bamboo growing from their back yard. The stalks were probably 3-4" in diameter, and I bounced a sharp axe head off them a few times before I realized something much more substantial would be needed to get rid of this stuff.

And cutting it down will not get rid of it.
nancy
"Mamba" wrote .

Worth metioning though so he knows now to check. No way to tell if it is the same'material'

hehehe. May types and yes, it can be hard to get rid of.